Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Some pictures from the Import Nationals down in Carlisle, PA. A cool, soggy weekend. They should change the name to the Swedish Car Nationals as about 75% of the cars were either Volvos or Saabs. A great group of car people, much like the TCCA crowd.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Brake upgrade this weekend. The old pads were down to 1-3mm, so it was good timing. AC Delco E-coated rotors in the rear and Wagner rust resistant rotors up front. Upgraded the 11.25" front rotors to 12". That's the largest I can fit with the 16" winter wheels. Akebono EuroSpec ceramic pads all around. Need to replace the front brake hoses, as the outer rubber jacket is starting to crack.

Cleaned calipers and painted them with POR15 caliper paint.

Would have loved to go to the 13" rotors with the 4 piston Brembo calipers on all 4 corners. But, hard to justify the $1k price tag. Plus, only a handful of 17"-18" wheels will fit over them. So, even more $$$.

Attachments

Reactions: sousa632 and sheila

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Beautiful work. I don't see any studs to mount the wheels. Does Volvo use bolts instead of lug nuts?
Sadly, yes they do. One thing I really hate. Maybe some day I'll spring for a conversion.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Sadly, yes they do. One thing I really hate. Maybe some day I'll spring for a conversion.

Actually after thinking about it it seems like a better setup so you can clean the hub and the rotor to help run out and better rim attachment. I never knew car makers used that design.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
A nice photo op today.

Reactions: sheila and sousa632

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Actually after thinking about it it seems like a better setup so you can clean the hub and the rotor to help run out and better rim attachment. I never knew car makers used that design.

Common in a small number of makers. It is like: "we have always done it that way". Easier to make the flange with smooth holes than tap the harder metal. Studs can be replaces in your own shop. Mess up the threads in the flange and you can replace a high priced part. Studs are high strength with nuts that are mild steel and the difference in materials make for good tightening. Nuts are cheap and can be replaced, and you can make cosmetic ones. Imagine auto racing without studs? Lets see how long NASCAR put crews can change bolts.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Imagine auto racing without studs? Lets see how long NASCAR put crews can change bolts.

-chart-
That would be entertaining! I bought an alignment tool - essentially a partially threaded long bolt. Thread it into one of the holes and "hang" the wheel on it. I agree with your assessment.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Waiting on the side of the road for a tow. Complete engine shut down on the way home from work tonight. Looks like it's
a systematic electrical issue. 7 codes for sensors, voltages, and powertrain. Wonderful.

Only the 2nd time I've been stranded in 37 years of driving. At least the weather isn't crappy like yesterday.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
A power off reset seems to have fixed things. Runs fine with no codes. Nice to be operational again. But, quirky electrical problems are the one thing that I fear most with this car.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Swapped the engine system relay and the starter relay. Had 4 no starts in a week (no starter engagement). Replaced starter relay and all has been fine. So, looks like the engine system relay was going bad.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hit a 150k miles today.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Pulled the bumper cover to replace the headlights with a pair of almost new JY units. No more cataracts!

While I was in there, I replaced the turbo to OTE (over the engine) pipe hose and the OTE pipe to intercooler hose. Of course, the lower clamp on the turbo hose is almost inaccessible. So, a 30 min job takes an hour after I drop my 7mm wrench into the abyss, forcing me to drop the lower engine shield. But, no more oily messes.

Also installed my painted coil and timing covers. Added a intake/injector cover from an R model. Finally, added a larger OTE pipe from a T5 model.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Fabricated a wire mesh grill. Newer JY S60 headlights, which have black accents instead of the V70's gray. Polished the fog light lenses and installed amber bulbs. Painted the lower bumper opening crossbar black.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
How most Volvo owners feel when they find out their PCV system is clogged. Yes, a rubber glove is the unofficial way to test it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Over the past 2 weekends I've replaced the following: alternator, serpentine belt and tensioner, radiator hoses, heater core, HVAC blower, and antifreeze.

The only "repair" items left are the LCAs and ball joints.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Replaced the lower control arms Saturday. Come out easy, but much more difficult to install. Need to be careful not to over extend the inner CV joint. Used a cargo strap to ratchet down the arm far enough to get the ball joint in. No luck on the ball joints. My improvised slide hammer didn't cut it. Need new dust seals on the hubs.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
The V70 made it through the winter without any issues. Just turned 160k miles. Some spring cleaning and updates prior to the Import Nationals. Repainted the original wheels in a hypersilver over black. New Nokian ZLine A/S tires on all 4 corners. Upgraded to the premium audio (speakers, 300W amp, and door panels) and added dynamat to the doors. Cut out the resonator and straight piped it. Added a set of Hella Sharptone horns. Hit 31 MPG on the run back from Carlisle today. Burning a qt of oil every 3500 miles.

Still working on the projector headlight retrofit.

Reactions: sheila
61 - 80 of 87 Posts