Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Volvo is looking great! Sounds like you landed a keeper!
Thanks! So far, so good. But, still in the "discovery phase".

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Netted 19 MPG over the past week schlepping to work and around town. Sub-zero lows and single digit highs most of the week. So, probably not too bad. I doubt the Sable would have done much better under the same conditions.

Reactions: sousa632

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
First significant snowfall overnight. So, got to go play in the snow today! The General Altimax Arctics are far more capable in the snow than the Pirelli P-Zeros were. No more "pucker factor" when driving in the snow! Got to work on my Swedish flick technique, too!

The only negative was the CEL coming on after starting. P0131 - O2 sensor #1 low voltage. Grrr. Happened on about 50% of the starts today. I would clear the code and it would stay off until the next start.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Great choice on the General snows. I'll never buy another brand--so much bang for the buck. They're not Nokians, but I've never had an issue.

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
In a weird coincidence the Fusion came with a set of Altimax snows just like our Focus did and they are pretty good but when the time comes to replace them I'll be going with the Michelin X-Ice XI3 just like I did with the Focus and the other cars. We get a lot of ice here and nothing is great on it but the Michelins are better than anything else we've had.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Saturday, the rear washer stopped working. The tank is full. I can hear the pump running. It was working fine on Friday. Thought the freezing rain Friday night might have iced up the nozzles. Melted the ice with de-icer. But, still not working. Might be a check valve. I've already replaced the one for the left front washer.

What is it with check valves lately? First the brake booster check valve on the Mazda 6. Now, maybe this.

On the positive side, no CEL today.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Is the integrity of the washer hose OK, near as you can tell from the hood end of the car?

I had these exact symptoms. The pressure of the washer fluid kept blowing the hose apart at a junction (in this case) near the strut tower. Kept soaking the area until I got it tightened and secured again.

Hopefully it's just that simple.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is the integrity of the washer hose OK, near as you can tell from the hood end of the car?

I had these exact symptoms. The pressure of the washer fluid kept blowing the hose apart at a junction (in this case) near the strut tower. Kept soaking the area until I got it tightened and secured again.

Hopefully it's just that simple.
No hose issues. It started working again the other day. Ordered a complete set of check valves and nozzles. Apparently, the check valves are prone to failure. Why add a component, that when it fails prevents you from washing your windows, thus, degrading your visibility?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Gave the V70 a hand wash today. Slim pickins at the JY today. Only came out with a battery cover. Tried to get some black carpet. But, it was frozen to the floor from the busted windshield. The Volvo carpet has about 1" of foam on the back of it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Paid my penance to the Evil Empire - title, registration, and sales tax. Replaced all the wipers and the front nozzles and check valves. I think this is the first time I went through all the wiper arm adapters before I found the right one. Noticed some rubber "crumbs" underneath the rear upper engine mount. Sure enough - loose. Wasn't that way when I was looking at the car almost 8 weeks ago. Should just buy the complete engine mount kit (5 mounts) for $180. If one's gone, others can't be far behind (if not already gone).

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Went to install my new instrument cluster today (It's out of a 2006 S80 Executive model).

Standard V70 cluster:

The S80 Executive cluster:

The "new" cluster was advertised as 140K mile unit. My car is 141.2K miles, so close enough for me. Get it in to find out it has 146K on it. Crap. I can live with it, pay to have it reprogrammed ($75-100), swap the gauges over (tedious, but not too difficult), or just wait about 5 months for my car to catch up. For now, I guess I'll wait.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Wrapped up a 886 mile road trip to visit our daughter at college this weekend. 29.3 MPG on the southbound leg and 29.9 MPG on the northbound leg. Would have broken 30 on the return trip, but played on some back roads instead. Too easy to blow past the posted speed limit through the twists and turns, though. :)

The roads in SW PA are really crappy right now. Pot holes everywhere. But, no mangled tires or bent wheels. But, a lot of teeth rattling.

Played with the rain sensing wipers for the first time. Mixed results. Generally okay. But, sometimes too much wiping, sometimes too little. They don't work well in the snow. This thing goes through washer fluid pretty quickly. Went through over a gallon on this trip.

Got to test the emergency braking today. On the eastbound downhill side of the Allegheny tunnel on I70 traffic suddenly dropped from 75 MPH to about 40 MPH. Got the V70 slowed down in time, but I was worried about the Jeep behind me and the semi to the side. A little excitement, but avoided crunching sounds.

I've put on 5K miles since I bought it in Dec. So, an oil change will be coming up soon. The oil level hasn't budged a millimeter. The Sable would typically go through a quart in about 4K miles. Still not high consumption by any stretch.

Reactions: sousa632

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Nice MPGs. How was the comfort?

Explorer goes back to North Carolina in April. That trip I only got 24 around same time last year. I am hoping to do better and get 26 next time around. Not to mention Carlisle... haven't decided whether the Explorer or Focus is coming along for the ride for that. 38 MPG (computer, take it where you will) would make me smile ear to ear. In any event, envious of your 29.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
You have to watch about heated steering wheels, our Lexus is only heated at 3 and 9 o'clock. Normally I don't position my hands there, so the wood is cold on the rest of the wheel.
The Buick heats all around but feels better up high. So I drive like a teen doing a driving test. :lol2:

-chart-

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Wrapped up a 886 mile road trip to visit our daughter at college this weekend. 29.3 MPG on the southbound leg and 29.9 MPG on the northbound leg. Would have broken 30 on the return trip, but played on some back roads instead. Too easy to blow past the posted speed limit through the twists and turns, though. :)

The roads in SW PA are really crappy right now. Pot holes everywhere. But, no mangled tires or bent wheels. But, a lot of teeth rattling.

Played with the rain sensing wipers for the first time. Mixed results. Generally okay. But, sometimes too much wiping, sometimes too little. They don't work well in the snow. This thing goes through washer fluid pretty quickly. Went through over a gallon on this trip.

Got to test the emergency braking today. On the eastbound downhill side of the Allegheny tunnel on I70 traffic suddenly dropped from 75 MPH to about 40 MPH. Got the V70 slowed down in time, but I was worried about the Jeep behind me and the semi to the side. A little excitement, but avoided crunching sounds.

I've put on 5K miles since I bought it in Dec. So, an oil change will be coming up soon. The oil level hasn't budged a millimeter. The Sable would typically go through a quart in about 4K miles. Still not high consumption by any stretch.
Your miles would be about a year for me in my wagon.
"The Sable would typically go through a quart in about 4K miles."
That is about what my sedan leaks.:lol2: I put in 5Q (5.5 would be book) and then add half a Q couple months later. Just when my daughter drops by and weather permits to look under the hood.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes, I imagine that my Sable leaks most of that.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Left work the other night and saw something fly down the left side of the car. Turned out to be the glass for the driver's side rear view mirror. WTH? Came off cleanly and the backing is still attached to the mirror housing. Had to order a new one since the mirror style changed in 07. So, no JY donors to be had. Very annoying not having that mirror. The replacement will be here Thursday.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice MPGs. How was the comfort?
Pretty comfortable. Quiet. Solid body structure. My back is still undecided on the seats. Pretty happy this trip. Not so much on other trips. But, it tends to dislike most cars after a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Put a new mirror glass in this morning (in the snow). Nice to have the mirror back.

Played in the snow today. The Altimax Arctics inspire a lot of confidence.

Reactions: thefranchise713
21 - 40 of 87 Posts