Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flew to DFW on Sunday to pick up my V70. Left Ft Worth around 5 pm and high-tailed it 400 miles to Joplin, MO for the night. Then, a 750 mile hop to southern MI on Monday to visit my parents. Averaging 27-30 MPG thus far. Typically cruising at 75-80 MPH. The 2.5L turbo is quick to spin up. It's easy to spin the tires off the line. Plenty of passing power without calling for a downshift. The car is very light on it's feet and far more tossable than the Sable could ever be. Still learning all the botton-ology.

After a low of 15 deg overnight, the car started fine. However, the washer fluid was nowhere to be found. I asked the dealer in TX to drain the fluid and replace it with winter fluid. Apparently didn't do this. A couple of hours with a heater and heat lamp thawed things out. I drained the tank and refilled with winter fluid with extra methyl alcohol. Then, sprayed it through all the washers until I could smell the alcohol. So, should be good to go.

A 550 mile hop tomorrow. Hopefully, the snow isn't too bad!

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Good catch on the washer fluid. Once I used summer fluid and didn't think to change it out, had the same experience. Never again! That's amazing mileage at the speed. Amazing what the newer engine/transmission combination can do these days.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made it home Wednesday night. The snow slowed things down a bit. About 200-250 miles of driving in the white stuff. Never a lot. Just enough to make it messy. Also, the Pirelli P-Zeros aren't that great in the snow, especially in the back of the car. Things got a little loose a few times. Just kept the pucker factor high at times! A set of snow tires will be ordered soon.

Came down with a CEL (P0101 and P2188) on the way home. Not happy to see that. I'll wait to get the PCV service completed along with cleaning the throttle body and see what happens. Also, need to check all the intake connections and any hoses to make sure everything is okay. Car was fine in the warmer weather. But, as soon as it got to 20 degrees, on came the light. It's been on and off and on again over the past day. Worst case might be a new MAF.

Ordered an extra set of OEM keys (one fob, one valet). $130 on eBay. Volvo dealer in Allentown PA will cut them for about $15 each. Most dealers will only order them from Volvo. Then, software ($55) and programming ($75). Local dealer wanted almost $600. Keys are a real racket these days.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
We've had those tires as OEM on more than one vehicle in our home, and we've despised them every time. I've never been so happy to see a tire wear out.

A good set of shoes will do that vehicle well.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Made it home Wednesday night. The snow slowed things down a bit. About 200-250 miles of driving in the white stuff. Never a lot. Just enough to make it messy. Also, the Pirelli P-Zeros aren't that great in the snow, especially in the back of the car. Things got a little loose a few times. Just kept the pucker factor high at times! A set of snow tires will be ordered soon.

Came down with a CEL (P0101 and P2188) on the way home. Not happy to see that. I'll wait to get the PCV service completed along with cleaning the throttle body and see what happens. Also, need to check all the intake connections and any hoses to make sure everything is okay. Car was fine in the warmer weather. But, as soon as it got to 20 degrees, on came the light. It's been on and off and on again over the past day. Worst case might be a new MAF.

Ordered an extra set of OEM keys (one fob, one valet). $130 on eBay. Volvo dealer in Allentown PA will cut them for about $15 each. Most dealers will only order them from Volvo. Then, software ($55) and programming ($75). Local dealer wanted almost $600. Keys are a real racket these days.
Single digits overnight, and I used the snow blower yesterday. It is winter now in the North Country. :lol2:

Congrats on your ride.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've had those tires as OEM on more than one vehicle in our home, and we've despised them every time. I've never been so happy to see a tire wear out.

A good set of shoes will do that vehicle well.
I never intended to run the P-Zeros in the winter. A 235/45-17 tire won't be that great in the snow, no matter what. Switching to a 205/55-16 size for my winter tires. Skinny tires rule in the winter!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Single digits overnight, and I used the snow blower yesterday. It is winter now in the North Country. :lol2:

Congrats on your ride.

-chart-
Thanks! Yes, it is feeling and looking like winter out there. I will say the heated seats in the V70 are nice! It also warms up much faster than the Sable.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Thanks! Yes, it is feeling and looking like winter out there. I will say the heated seats in the V70 are nice! It also warms up much faster than the Sable.
" lake effect snow expected. Plan on poor visibility and
slippery conditions, including during the evening commute.
Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches are expected in the
most persistent lake snows."

Normal for your trip if you took I-90/I-86 through the snow belt.
As to warm up, I expect 5 minutes to full temp and the EATC to cut back. By my 4 miles to the mall car is comfortable. Last night, Lin Cont, teens all night, and all day and it was outside because I forgot to get it in before snow. I drove 1.0 miles to the grocery and the EATC turned the fan on low as I parked. I felt the vent for the side glass and I had warm air.

Chart of my '03 Wagon from single digits to our dentist as I remember. Compared to old school cars this is very nice. And the chart trip is with EATC cranking out the heat.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Did some junkyarding for the V70 today. Picked up a 12V power outlet for the cargo area and a washer nozzle. But, the real score was a factory 150W, 12" subwoofer! It fits in/over the spare tire. These are fairly rare as they were a $1000+ dealer installed option. I'll head back on Monday to get an auto dim mirror and 50W/channel audio amp. The standard audio is a very Mach-like 25W per channel, which isn't bad. But, more is always better! Might also grab some black carpet, as I'm not a fan of the tan carpet in my car. Black is so much better at hiding all the dirt.

Wanted to grab a 3-spoke sport steering wheel from a 2004 S60. But, Volvo changed the electrical connector style in 2005. Came across an S60R, but all the good bits had been removed (4-piston Brembo calipers, blue instrument cluster gauges). No luck on a Homelink visor yet.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the 50W/channel audio amp, auto dim mirror, and some engine bay eye candy from the S60R today. Had to pull the passenger seat to get the amp out. The wiring harness was a PITA. It was taped to a large bundle of wires behind the center stack. Of course, a big chunk of dashboard was right in front of all the tape. After about 30 minutes, I convinced it to come out.

Got the PCV service done. 3.5 hours of labor. My mechanic gave it a going over. He didn't find anything wrong other than the alternator is making some noise. I was hoping it was the power steering pump. The power steering pump has to come out to remove the alternator. The power steering pump seal is starting to seep a little bit. Might just replace both.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ask, and ye shall receive!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you get it fully customized to how you like, would love to read a full review on it.
You should know the customization never ends! :) After almost 2K miles with it, what have I learned:

The 2.5L 5-cylinder turbo has plenty of grunt (208HP/236TQ). Peak torque starts at 1500 RPM. So, very quick off the line - if you can keep from spinning the tires. A mild tune would put that into the 240HP/270TQ range, which really starts to push the limit of what a FWD car can really put down. However, that probably makes premium fuel a requirement, not a recommendation. Is it worth 40-50 cents per gallon more every time I fill it up? Rated at 20/29 MPG. I've seen 24-30, thus far.

The 5-speed automatic goes about it's business without any fuss. Shifts are quick, unlike the AX4N which seems to take days to complete most shifts. The manual mode is nice as well.

The ride is firm, but not uncomfortable. The 45 series tires can be a touch harsh over some surfaces. The car is very light on it's feet relative to a Gen4 Taurus/Sable. Almost tossable. Very solid body structure.

Very good, linear brakes, with very good feel. The rear rotors are the same size as the fronts. I find the steering a bit light for my taste. I haven't tested the dynamic stability control yet. But, it also hasn't kicked in when having fun, either.

While it has the same 108" wheelbase as the Gen3/4 Bulls, overall it's a foot shorter. Front seat room is about the same. Rear seat loses a little bit. The cargo area loses about 10 cu ft. So, about 7/8ths of the Sable.

The turning radius sucks. It's somewhere just short of 40 feet. The 17"x8" wheels with 235/45-17 tires probably don't help. I don't know how many times I've started to pull into a parking space, only to stop, back up and try again. I haven't even gotten to parallel parking yet.

Build quality and materials are far beyond a Gen4 Bull - though this platform ran from 2001-2007. This car listed for almost $39K when new, so you'd expect it to be better. Tons of sound insulation everywhere. So, pretty quiet. Front seats are supportive, but a bit soft for me. There are other seat styles available in other years that are far better. Fully power adjustable and lumbar on both sides. Memory on the driver's side. The front cup holders will handle two 32oz drinks. The dual zone climate control is easy to use. Individual controls for defrost, dash, and floor vents. So, you have the defrost/dash mode that always seems to be lacking in most cars. Still has a mystery "Auto" mode, much like the Sable.

The rear hatch is all plastic - so very light and won't rust out!

This was one of the first fully networks cars. About 6-8 computers in the car all networked together (CANBUS). So, you need to be careful when replacing electronics as many components are linked to the car. Lot's of software configurability - that your Volvo dealer will be happy to take your money for. Installing an aftermarket radio requires the dealer to download software telling the main computer that the radio isn't there. Otherwise, strange things happen. Don't disconnect the climate control module without disconnecting the battery or you get an SRS error that only the dealer can reset. Don't go replacing the front overhead console, as it contains all the security electronics. Your car may not start. This is probably the scariest part of the car. If anything goes wrong here - $$$$.

It's going to be an interesting, and hopefully not overly expensive, adventure. My first foray into the world of European cars. Yes, Ford did own Volvo at this time, but this was the last all Volvo designed platform. I always had a thing for the turbo Volvo wagons back in the late 80s and early 90s. I've always liked Q-ships.

I'll keep everyone up to date as the adventure continues.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the V70 up to Erie Volvo(Near Utica - aka "the other 'ca") to pick up a set of 16" wheels for my snow tires. Grabbed an alternator from an 09 S60 with 75K on it and a replacement right rear access panel since the latch was broken off of mine.

It was the most fun I've had on 2-lane roads since I parted ways with my 1988 Mazda 323GT back in 1995. I'm sure I offended a few "Bubbas" in their lifted trucks as I passed them. Throw in some good music (Rush 2112 - in honor of 21/12 day, Joe Bonamassa, The Pretty Reckless, and Black Country Communion) and it was a very therapeutic afternoon. It's nice to be able to pass almost at will, although the smaller turbo starts to lose a little steam above 65 MPH. Turns at 1.5 times the posted speed are effortless. The car definitely encourages spirited driving. Still feeling out the limits, especially how the P-Zeros behave near the limit. So, far they feel like they have a gradual break away versus just letting go. Which is good.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the winter shoes on the V70 today:

The tires are General Altimax Arctic 12s in 215/55-16. The shop that put them on was having a fit that they were a different size than what was on the car (235/45-17s). Snow tires in that size are short on selection and high in price. Plus, the skinnier tires are better in the snow anyway and the taller sidewalls are better come pothole season. The service guy swore up and down that they wouldn't fit. I told him I'd show him the owner's manual. Ended up signing a form that basically said I was putting a non-standard tire on my car and the shop wasn't responsible. Lawyers.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
The Volvo is looking great! Sounds like you landed a keeper!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
8 Participants
Exocet
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing