Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im cutting off my 3rd cat and resonator and welding in a straight pipe. Could someone tell me the pipe diameters going off the y-pipe?
and btw, i read on the forum about removing the intake silencer, but could someone please clarify how i would do that?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
you need a 2.25 inch pipe to replace those. are you using a stock muffler? if so there will probably be no sound change, the stock muffler is a beast and quiets everything.

and all you need to do is pull the fender liner on the drivers side wheel, and just un bolt it.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
hey man do everyone a favor, if your trying to do it quick and cheap go to autozone and grab a cherrybomb glasspack and throw that in there, if you want to make it sound better grab 6" body 28" inch long Magnaflow resonator and put it where the stock resonator was, that will sound good.

with no muffler/res/cat it will sound like lead singer of Lamb of God gurgling water falling off large builing during an earthquake. (tried to be abstract)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting analogy! I'm planning to put in my flowmaster super 44 asap, but right now, I don't have enough cash to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One problem I am having is that my flowmaster has a single inlet and dual outlets, and I can't find a place to put it. It looks like there is enough room where the cat is, could I put the flowmaster there after the cat is out?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I wouldn't put that kind of muffler that close to the engine. It might make your exhaust like an pipe organ, With a resonation setting in that may not be the sound you are after, and it might louder than you expect. I'm not sure you have room for a muffler like that in that location anyway.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wouldn't put that kind of muffler that close to the engine. It might make your exhaust like an pipe organ, With a resonation setting in that may not be the sound you are after, and it might louder than you expect. I'm not sure you have room for a muffler like that in that location anyway.
A number of Contours would do this on their 'Tec powered cars:

Muffler in the center of the vehicle just post the y-pipe, resonators at the rear. It was also the best sounding exhaust system available for the Contour.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Someone here did that with good results but I can't rmeember if it was magnaflow or flowmaster.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
it was cheeto and yes it sounded great. but magnaflow muffler like he had and a flowmaster 44 are pretty different.

and we are strickly talking vulcan, duratec would need a resonator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts