Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on the site. I'm thrilled to have found the TCCA!

We own a 2000 Taurus SEL with the Duratec 24V DOHC engine. Lately, we have noticed an exhaust odor inside the car when the car is stopped at a light, stop sign or just warming up in the winter. I can not hear any notable exhaust leaks. Suggestions?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hole in the floor board, bad weather stripping letting it in when the wind wafts the tail pipe exhaust up or an exhaust leak is what I would guess ?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
How is the oil pan gasket? If it's leaking...could be dripping onto the exhaust and giving that pleasant aroma into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'm willing to bet there's a small exhaust leak near the flex pipe.
[/b]
My 2000 doesn't have a flex pipe...dunno about other G4s. Factory exhaust on mine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
HA !! Get used to it. You can take two identical Ford F150's that came off of the same line, one the same day right behind one another back to back with the SAME options and the brackets will be totally different ! LOL!
Its like they just throw **** on at the end of the day from a big ass parts bin or something. LOL!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus that also just started 'leaking exhaust' into the passenger compartment this winter. I had a gap in the weather strip by the trunk where someone had rear-ended the car and bent the bumper in slightly. I straightened out the gap, but it still leaks when the car is not moving. There is no appreciable exhaust noise in the engine compartment.

My next guess is to see if the PCV hose came off or something like that.

Let me know if you get it figured out before me.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is this same smell in the engine compartment? Outside the car?

Does it seem like gas, burning oil or just regular exhaust?

Have you switched brands of fuel recently?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I had a similar problem. The two PCV rubber elbows on my 2000 Taurus degraded and began to leak the crankcase gasses and then would cause an exhaust-like smell in the passenger compartment.
Regards,
Bob

QUOTE (Todd Crenshaw @ Dec 7 2008, 12:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=682537
This is my first post on the site. I'm thrilled to have found the TCCA!

We own a 2000 Taurus SEL with the Duratec 24V DOHC engine. Lately, we have noticed an exhaust odor inside the car when the car is stopped at a light, stop sign or just warming up in the winter. I can not hear any notable exhaust leaks. Suggestions?[/b]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this same problem - definite exhaust smell in the car, when heat or vent is on and car is stopped. No abnormal noises from exhaust system. 24V Duratec, 75000 mi.

To attempt tp isolate the source I plugged the tailpipe with a rag while idling, but I only found one leak at a joint with a U-clamp under the car, down stream of the y-pipe. No other leaks or sounds noted from in the engine compartment. It appears to have been leaking for a long time - maybe not the cause of my problem. I'm going to add another clamp and see if the leak stops and the smell goes away.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
This isn't one of Ford's better ideas. The smell that you smell is from the outside because there is no air recirculation selection except when on max A/C.

I get these bastards with diesel trucks in front of me all the time. And the 1st time I smell diesel I move the selector to the off position. With the cabin filter in place this pretty much stops injecting the smell of burned diesel in the car.

You will note the blacker the diesel smoke the concentration or density of the smell increases exponentially. Yuck ! :angry:

It's enough to make you gag and puke ! And isn't good for your health either.

Monsoon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts