Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to modify my exhaust but im not sure what do to.
First im cutting out the resonator but after that i dont know if i should install a single or twin exhaust with flowmasters.
Do you guys think that if i install twin exhaust that ill lose my low-end torque?
As good as it may sound i love drag racing and i dont want that to happen.
If theres any of you that have cut out the resonator and put in performance mufflers can you tell me how it sounds and how the performance is affected?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thinking of messing with my exhaust pretty soon and this is what i have in mind for my pretty much stock 99 vulcan sable
Cutting out the resonator and putting a flowmaster 40 series delta flow in its place and put in a boom tube exhaust tip
I just want some feedback to see what you ppl think and some dos and donts when it comes to exhaust stuff
I especially wanna know what you ppl think about cutting out the resonator and installing a boom tube
thx
by the way, how do i insert pics from my comp onto the tread?
:05:
Heres a pic of a boom tube exhaust tip

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Here is a video of my car, that I recently put dual Flowmaster 40 series regular flow mufflers on. The raspiness has started to go away on the mufflers over the week that I've had them.

I don't know about taking out the resonator and putting the Delta flow on there. I think you'd be better off putting dual Delta Flows. Get a custom y-pipe made and then mount the flows on there. It'll sound awesome on a Vulcan. Another good muffler set to put on there would be a Magnaflow...I think if you get rid of the resonator altogether, you're going to get a heck of alot of raspiness, and you won't like it.

JR

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Did u notice that after u get in the car it drops about an inch? :lol:

Also, how ironic, when I clicked the link a Republican pop up ad came on.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont wanna get duals by the way cause im worried that if i do im going to lose alot of low end torque since i only have a vulcan so dual flowmasters is pretty much outa the question for now
Also the reason i want to take off the resonator is mostly cause i heard it restricts the airflow alot but i dont wanna over do it by getting twin pipes

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by stever@Aug 21 2004, 05:45 PM
Did u notice that after u get in the car it drops about an inch? :lol:

Yeah...I'm a fat ass.

Besides that...how did you like the sound of the car?

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by SableTuner@Aug 21 2004, 05:52 PM
I dont wanna get duals by the way cause im worried that if i do im going to lose alot of low end torque since i only have a vulcan so dual flowmasters is pretty much outa the question for now
Also the reason i want to take off the resonator is mostly cause i heard it restricts the airflow alot but i dont wanna over do it by getting twin pipes
The resonator doesn't restrict at all. A resonator is basically a big piece of pipe that's cut to a certain length to change the tone of the exhaust. It's hollow and doesn't have anything inside to restrict the flow.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by stever@Aug 21 2004, 05:45 PM
You got a pop-up? You shoudn't have, since the file is hosted on Drexel's server. The only way you'd get a pop-up is if you have ad-ware that's reading file locations from embedded pictures (that file is directly taken from www.georgewbush.com so if the prog saw that there was a picture taken from there, it would produce something related to that.

JR

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32+Aug 21 2004, 06:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Aug 21 2004, 06:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stever@Aug 21 2004, 05:45 PM
You got a pop-up? You shoudn't have, since the file is hosted on Drexel's server. The only way you'd get a pop-up is if you have ad-ware that's reading file locations from embedded pictures (that file is directly taken from www.georgewbush.com so if the prog saw that there was a picture taken from there, it would produce something related to that.

JR [/b][/quote]
It was probably just a coincidence. I had the firewall and pop up blocker turned off. I'm using Ad-Aware Se Personal.

Car sounds pretty good. Watching a video does it no justice, you gotta see it in person to get the full effect..

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thx for the info
i dunno i heard that resonators restrict alot but also when i took out the resonator out of my air intake tubing i got quite a performance boost....and no it isnt cause of the bird that was stuck in the front of my car clogging up the air intake... :blink:
oh and what do you guys think of the boom tube? i know i wont do anything hp wise but do you think itle gimme better sound??

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Removing the intake resonator is not giving you any performance boost in the real world. Your Butt Dyno is a different story, however. The only thing that removing the intake resonator does is give it a better sound. You won't notice any difference between the stock resonator and anything else.

JR

G

·
The difference removing the intake silencer/resonator is that it actually does restrict, as you can tell by looking at it. A performance increase definitely will register on the butt dyno when you remove the intake silencer and the car will generally be more responsive, which is why there seems to be a slight performance increase, while I would argue that there is some gain to be had from removing the intake silencer, I would imagine it is barely, if at all measureable on a dyno.

As far as the exhaust resonator goes, there is very, very little restriction from it, but there will be a significant difference in the exhaust tone and the loudness of the exhaust. I removed the resonator on my 99 vulcan with the stock muffler intact, just for the fun of it, and it was noticably louder, with a freer flowing exhaust I would have to imagine it would have been much louder.

Here is a clip of my current 2001 Vulcan with a Flowmaster 40 Series Deltaflow, resonator intact:
My Exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I say stick with the single exhaust. You won't gain much with a dual system, and it will just cost more money. IMO, you should have a shop make you a custom cat-back system with some 2.5" piping. Any larger and you'll lose too much low end torque.

On a side note, if you're just looking for sound, just get some mufflers welded on there, and leave the resonater in place. It'll be too raspy without it. If you want a little extra performance, get a cat-back.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Keep the resonator. The car won't sound very good without it. I left mine on my 'tec when I put my Flowmasters on there. I'd say either go with Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flows or a Magnaflow.

JR

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
mine is catless and no resonnator and no lost in performance and a bit of gain in overall time but a lot more responce when i press the gaz lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll

G

·
There were two exhaust topics regarding the same thing started by the same person here, so I merged the topics. That's why some posts may seem out of place.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Actually yesterday I went to a muffler shop and I decided to get rid of my high flow cats because I didn't see any difference at all so I just put on a straight pipe were the cats used to be with the 2 H2O sensor and damn I am very happy I wanted of what I was looking for, which it was a little more power in my Vulcan. Although, I went to the junkyard and I took out the dual stock muffler from the Duratec and I put it on my car and I got rid of the Flowmaster because it was so damn loud. I like the sound that the car has now with no Flowmasters and with no the high flow cats ... and it sounds like the Flowmaster but with a low deep tone which its probably because of the straight pipe though. I'll try to get a sound of the car now.

Frank

·
Registered
92 Posts
The resonator is a muffler so removing it will make the exhaust flow freer and give the car a little more power. I heard a guys Tuarus with a Vulcan that he modded by taking out the resonator and putting a 4" Magnaflow muffler in place of the stock one on his exhaust.It sounded great, no raspiness at all, just a deep high performance sound.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.