Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, Haven't been around in a while. Believe it or not I've had a few years of reliable operation on my car, so wasn't much to post about. At 125K miles now.

I'm getting at the point where i'd like to get a new car. It's about the time I normally replace cars, and my '14 is 7 years old.

Of course, the minute I mention "Trade it in" something breaks. The flex coupling on the Y-pipe cracked over the weekend and sounds terrible. I need to get this fixed before I entertain the thought of trading it in.

I've found the OEM pipe is $220ish from Tasca parts, and a walker replacement is around $115. Downside to this is that new England salt has done a number on my exhaust system so not sure I will be able to get the rear pipe undone to install a new part.

I need the circles part. I will likely just buy the flex connector and have it welded in myself. I have a welder, but I hate doing this sort of stuff on my back so i'll likely have a shop deal with it. What size diameter pipe is this? 2.25" or 2.5"? 3.5L non-turbo

Has anyone does a repair on this pipe yet? Did you replace the entire thing, or just weld in the section you needed?

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I have done a flex pipe on my 2006 Taurus twice. The first replacement lasted 6+ years and like you said this will be it's last year that flex pipe broke. I am sure a muffler shop can easily fix that by adding an aftermarket flex pipe.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was actually going to try and fix it myself. However after getting the car on stands and inspecting the break, I’ve decided it’s gonna be a PITA to weld it on my back.

Found a local exhaust place that will take care of it for me. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts