Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of doing the exhaust on my SHO this summer, and was running a few ideas over. the first would be a midwest SHO y pipe with the high flow cats hooked up to a dynomax cat back. my other idea was to remove the stock y pipe, hook up 2 exhaust cutouts right after each manifold, and then run a pipe from each to a cat, and out into a summit turbo (with resonators). what i am wondering, is which would be a better setup for sound and overall power. with the cutouts open, will it rasp badly? and will the mccords power plate be able to hold up to those temps?
thanks in advance
matt

·
Registered
437 Posts
There really isn't that much to be had in terms of exhaust on a stock car. Just get an catted H or two straight tubes with cats to the back and call it a day. You will not, despite what people say, really pick up much with a cat-back system on a stock car.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com@Jun 9 2004, 02:55 PM
There really isn't that much to be had in terms of exhaust on a stock car.

You will not, despite what people say, really pick up much with a cat-back system on a stock car.
Though I'm no expert on this subject, I've heard many SHO owners say that an aftermarket y-pipe (Midwest SHO, SHOShop, Performance Plus) was their favorite upgrade they've done to their SHO peformance-wise. I don't know if you own a SHO or anything, but I think I'll go with the view of the various owners of a y-pipe.

Now a cat-back I'm not sure of, but I do know they praise their y-pipes over on SHOForum.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
IIRC, there was a v8 SHO owner who put in a mccord power plate exhaust cut-out (needed some custom fabbing) and I think he cut about 3 tenths from his 1/4 mile e/t. Forgot who it was, though... :oops:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0+Jun 9 2004, 03:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Jun 9 2004, 03:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-americanmotorsport.com@Jun 9 2004, 02:55 PM
There really isn't that much to be had in terms of exhaust on a stock car.

You will not, despite what people say, really pick up much with a cat-back system on a stock car.
Though I'm no expert on this subject, I've heard many SHO owners say that an aftermarket y-pipe (Midwest SHO, SHOShop, Performance Plus) was their favorite upgrade they've done to their SHO peformance-wise. I don't know if you own a SHO or anything, but I think I'll go with the view of the various owners of a y-pipe.

Now a cat-back I'm not sure of, but I do know they praise their y-pipes over on SHOForum. [/b][/quote]
What were the dyno gains? Not much. It's just not that *key* to stock car, yet it is everyone's favorite mod in most cars anyway.

We have worked on several SHO's...so I know what works.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have worked on several SHO's...so I know what works.
what mods would you suggest then, and what gains would i see? i'll budget at 1,500 for now. i was planning extrude honed intake, exhaust, and chip.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don;t think extrude honing is worth it at this stage. Nitrous would be the most power-to-dollar ratio, then a chip. We have seen great gains on the SHO's, especially down lown and in the mid-range. I posted teh chart somewhere around here. You can do a cam and springs, I mean, it depends on what you want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know i don't want to do nitrous. cams, yes that seems like a good idea, but i know that stage 2 cams make the engine an interference engine, meaning that instead of the timing belt breaking, something big breaks. does anyone know if this is the same for stage 1 cams? i was also thinking a lighter flywheel would be a good base as well. and if i get the chip, i know i can have different settings, economy, power ect... but if i add something else later, can the chip be reprogrammed to receive full gains from the new mods?
also where to get cams other than SHO shop, i have heard very bad things about them. i know midwest sho is developing a set. well i figure 400 for y pipe, 350 for chip, 500?? for cams, that leave me with 150, the chip can be programmed to accept input from an 80mm MAF, right???
thanks
matt

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by pimpin90GL@Jun 10 2004, 05:40 PM
i know i don't want to do nitrous. cams, yes that seems like a good idea, but i know that stage 2 cams make the engine an interference engine, meaning that instead of the timing belt breaking, something big breaks. does anyone know if this is the same for stage 1 cams? i was also thinking a lighter flywheel would be a good base as well. and if i get the chip, i know i can have different settings, economy, power ect... but if i add something else later, can the chip be reprogrammed to receive full gains from the new mods?
also where to get cams other than SHO shop, i have heard very bad things about them. i know midwest sho is developing a set. well i figure 400 for y pipe, 350 for chip, 500?? for cams, that leave me with 150, the chip can be programmed to accept input from an 80mm MAF, right???
thanks
matt
You can get a custom-ground cam...go to a cam shop that is not necessarily car-specific.

$400 for a Y pipe is not worth it. It would be better to go to an exhaust shop and get something made. Get like an H pipe.

Yes, the chip can always be programmed for later mods.

You do nont need a MAF at this point. You can read more about this on the FAQ on our site.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am going to asume that i would have to get my valve lash readjusted after installing the cam. thanks for all the help, i will keep you all updated
matt

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Replacing the stock Y pipe on a MTX is one the best bang for the buck mods. No sense doing much to the cat back though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jun 9 2004, 04:10 PM
IIRC, there was a v8 SHO owner who put in a mccord power plate exhaust cut-out (needed some custom fabbing) and I think he cut about 3 tenths from his 1/4 mile e/t. Forgot who it was, though... :oops:
There's no way you'd get 3 tenths from a cut-out. Mine netted me 6 hp on the dyno and I really can't tell if the ET's have improved or not. The car isn't consistant enough and the difference is small.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well even if it's only 6 HP, for 350 it's not that bad, plus it will be a great base for some forced induction :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jun 9 2004, 04:10 PM
Fairly certain this is mcgilles.

Paul, are you saying that a catted Y-pipe is pointless, or that gains are very minimal as compared to the catless?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Only 6 HP for $350 is a pretty bad power-to-dollar ratio...a chip is a little less and you pick up like 4 times that in torque and three times that in HP, down low and in the mid end, which iswhere you actually lose some with exhaust, and you pick up high end too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com@Jun 21 2004, 01:41 PM
Only 6 HP for $350 is a pretty bad power-to-dollar ratio...a chip is a little less and you pick up like 4 times that in torque and three times that in HP, down low and in the mid end, which iswhere you actually lose some with exhaust, and you pick up high end too.
I don't know where the $350 came from. I paid $105 for the Mccord Power plate and $25 for the Jeg's cut-out and another $65 for installation. That's $195 total and the sound alone is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Jun 21 2004, 12:52 PM
Fairly certain this is mcgilles.

Paul, are you saying that a catted Y-pipe is pointless, or that gains are very minimal as compared to the catless?
Personally I feel the cats are not a major restriction. The OEM Y pipe on the mtx on the other hand is.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know where the $350 came from
sorry, went to an exhaust shop, that is what they quoted me for the system from the headers back, that includes the pipe, 2 cats, resonators, muffs and cutouts, the plates i'm going to have to get somewhere else as they have never heard of them there. is this a decent price for a set of true duals, or should i look elsewhere?
thanks
matt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts