Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Exhaust Problems

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  stang2be 
#1 ·
Model Info:

1993 FD, TAU GL 127,000 Miles

Problem, today i noticed that there was smoke coming from under neath the trunk of car. Smoke Descrip: grey (most likely precipitation). There was nothing coming out of the tail pipe. Everything (smoke i mean) was coming from underneath the car. Looked like I was tire burning. Any ideas what this could be? (is it the tail pipe or is it something wrong with the muffler?) I know this sounds like a dumb post, but usually when the mufflers are damaged, the smoking (grey) level isn't this bad. It was really smoking and was very visible on the roads. Any ideas on the extent of the damage? or is the the catalytic converter? what is it?

Some help....anyone.....all comments/questions/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the help

FTV

#3 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk@Feb 3 2004, 12:48 PM
Does the exhaust sound different or louder? It sounds like it's just an exhaust leak.
hi mike,

yeah actually it makes "farting noises" almost like a V-8. so it is just the exhaust pipe or the mufflers? any idea how much this will be (in terms of pricing). I am a college student and am not willing to spend toooo much money (like 400 dollars) on the entire pipe line .

#4 ·
I think if you take it to a main-stream muffler shop(meineke, midas, etc...) they'll probably just charge you for an hour of labor to weld up the hole or depending on how bad it is, cut out the damaged part and weld in a new piece of pipe. Either way, it should only cost about $60 which is still too much money for what they're doing. But, until you learn how to weld, they've got you over a barrel.

Also, estimates are free. Maybe shop around to see if who has the best price and it's also worth a second opinion to make sure one shop isn't trying to hose you by making you pay for stuff you don't need. I think stock mufflers suck-a**, but some people like how quiet they are, despite how much they restrict flow. If you do need a new muffler, you might be able to find it cheaper at some other place(parts stores, online, swap meets, etc) than the muffler shop. Although, they might resent that because they make a profit by marking up parts, and they also might not warranty any work if you use a muffler that you bought somewhere else. It's up to you.

#5 ·
Most places I've been to have discounted labour costs for people who buy the parts through them. I've had muffler shops install my own stuff. Well except for Midas who wouldn't put anything on other than those Raven mufflers. Well that doesn't help me, the customer, who got 2 muffs off ebay and can't get them on.

G
#6 ·
From what you've said it does just seem like and exhaust leak... if it is just the muffler and maybe some pipe and you're looking for an upgraded muffler, I got my flowmaster on ebay for $40 shipped and got it installed at a Midas for like $50. I had them remove the resonator on my old Taurus (which did nothing BTW except made the exhaust tone SLIGHTLY deeper) and they only charged me a few dollars for the piece of replacement pipe - so if you need any piping replaced, that shouldn't cost much. And the flowmaster 40 series deltaflow sounds awesome on my vulcan

#8 ·
Originally posted by jason8225@Feb 3 2004, 03:58 PM
From what you've said it does just seem like and exhaust leak... if it is just the muffler and maybe some pipe and you're looking for an upgraded muffler, I got my flowmaster on ebay for $40 shipped and got it installed at a Midas for like $50. I had them remove the resonator on my old Taurus (which did nothing BTW except made the exhaust tone SLIGHTLY deeper) and they only charged me a few dollars for the piece of replacement pipe - so if you need any piping replaced, that shouldn't cost much. And the flowmaster 40 series deltaflow sounds awesome on my vulcan
Hi,

Is it possible to get Flowmasters at Pepboys? or any stores like that or is it strictly custom made shop item?

also is it ok to get a muffler with two tail pipe openings for this model of taurus?

93, TAU GL 3.0 V6 Vulcan engine model

#10 ·
WOW those prices are friggin outrageous. Check ebay or some local swap meets or something.

Sorry, I don't know the stock pipe size for your car.

I wouldn't go with a 1inlet/2outlet type of muffler if I were you. I mean, look at where the stock muffler is hanging, there isn't enough room for that kind of dual exhaust set-up. If you really want dual exhaust it's going to cost more than just fixing the leak and/or replacing the muffler.

If you want a dual set-up, I'd suggest riding around with the leak until you have enough cash saved up to do it right. I paid about $320 for a single pipe cat-back. And don't feel shy about haggling with the guy, I know how it feels to be a broke-a** college student. I mean, are you going to hang out with the muffler guy after he does the work? No? Then what do you care if he thinks you're cheap.

#11 ·
Just for Future Reference purposes:

Yes the problem is resolved. It was the muffler; muffler had a corroded hole on top of it. I had to change the Exhaust pipe and the muffler.

Total cost for that including the labor: 225.00
Local Auto Mechanic

Next on the list: Replace the rear sway bar and change transmission oil: Estimated at 140.00 including labor and parts.

#13 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk@Feb 4 2004, 09:46 PM
Holy crap.  What kind of muffler did they put on?
the OEM - Stock Muffler. Here is the receipt. It is not used and is brand new. So i guess since it is a 100% Ford part, i guess it was expensive. i dont konw....

Come to think of it, the bill doesn't add up to 225.00 to begin with.....i may have received a discount since i go to school in the neighborhood. Also the OEM Mufflers are expensive (I checked with ford parts online and it was like 300 dollars)

So it wasnot custom, it was OEM and i guess that was expensive....*shrug*..i dont know....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.