Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
I guess we'll find out soon just how they sound. I've got backup plans anyway (quieter components or junkyard for another stock Y-pipe)

Here ya go:
(1/2)

Attachments

Discussion starter · #24 ·
(2/2)

That short shiny section is where the stock pipe was "crushed in" for no reason, I cut that crap out and put in a new 2" piece.

The O2 sensor hole near that bracket in the above pic is for the wideband.

And finally I know my welds arent as pretty as the american chopper guys :) but they're still pretty good :D

Attachments

humm you could try makeing your own set of headers...

i am woundering why ford did the nice little crunch to the front pipe as well.
next month i am probly going to have a while new exhaust put on from the manifolds back. i wish their are headers for our cars. i nice set of long tubes.

Good work so far! I want to do the same... but Im in California... so NO. LOL

Keep up the good work though,

SABLESAL

Looking forward to hearing how that sounds DMX. Let us know when ever you get it all back together. I might have another project to add to the list. :D

there is one thing that can be done you remove the y and from the top you open them up as a sardine can and then you empty them and you solder them back together so it doesn't show on visual inspection lolllllll

but if you have to pass a real inspection then high flow cat it the only way sorry

and for the guy who said it cost too much gaz lolllllll because you have to release the gas pedal i know it is so much fun with those car :banana:

Instead of replacing the cats on my 3.8 (extremely clogged) I just gutted them with a long drill bit. I cut the cats off the pipe, gutted them, and rewelded. You would never know anything was wrong. The sound is a bit louder but I think it may have slight exhaust leak. But since I don't have the car anymore what do I care?

I was wondering, they make this electronic cut-away to bypass mufflers. I was wondering,... could we possibly use this on out Taurus'/Sables? The cut-away has an electronic switch to operate a plate to have the exhaust leave another route. Let me know guys

SableSal

maybe but it would be really complicated
this is only to open the air intake on the exaust pipe to make it louder and more grrrrrrrrr on the noise ratio and that is it

the cut aways are for high rpm race motors so that you can do away with most (if not all) back pressure. Like my mustang I would use them if I was to want to drive the car on the street , But by doing away with ALL back pressure you would lose most of your low rpm torque. I run a 4000 Stall on the mustang and am not concerned with low rpm torque. With a streetable V6 or V8 you need some B/P or atleast some sort of cross over pipe with some what of a muffler.
You COULD have a set up that might go something like Elc. controled cutaways that reroute your exhust around the cats and then back in to the pipes before going through something like a set of 30 seires flows . Then you could flip a switch too close the cutaeays so it would only be able to run through the cats at inspection time.
That way you could keep your tags and still enjoy the slight hp gain of a "free'er" flowing exhust?

I really don't have to worry about an inspection here in AL.
BUT from what I seen so far on this site some of you guys are more than able to figuer it out!

MY idea of a good sound in a car is my 294 306 lift 554 558 lift 110 lobe Comp cam coming out of the 1 3/4 equal leanth long tube headers with 3" turn downs !! :D

chris

me im straight all the way out no back pressure and i dont see any prb

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Fired it up Saturday night after an all day marathon to get it back together.....

Its loud :) Keep in mind its no cats, no resonator -2.5" straight pipe ALL the way back to the dual flowmaster 40s and moving a LOT of air even at idle. Its not ricey at all, its very menacing but...just a little too loud for my tastes.

I quickly reattached a ~29" 2.5"ID glasspack in the resonator section and it made a night and day difference in the sound, once I get some more welding wire i'll get things in there a little more "professional" looking :)

One thing I wonder about though, the exhaust pulses are pretty damn strong, I can stand a good 5 feet behind the car and still feel the exhaust pulsating against my hand, it was somewhat like that last year too but this time its much more pronounced. Its been so long since the car was stock that I cant remember if that was "normal" <_< . Anyone got any insight?

Originally posted by DMX@Aug 16 2004, 07:15 AM
Fired it up Saturday night after an all day marathon to get it back together.....

Its loud :) Keep in mind its no cats, no resonator -2.5" straight pipe ALL the way back to the dual flowmaster 40s and moving a LOT of air even at idle. Its not ricey at all, its very menacing but...just a little too loud for my tastes.

I quickly reattached a ~29" 2.5"ID glasspack in the resonator section and it made a night and day difference in the sound, once I get some more welding wire i'll get things in there a little more "professional" looking :)

One thing I wonder about though, the exhaust pulses are pretty damn strong, I can stand a good 5 feet behind the car and still feel the exhaust pulsating against my hand, it was somewhat like that last year too but this time its much more pronounced. Its been so long since the car was stock that I cant remember if that was "normal" <_< . Anyone got any insight?
What kind of welding are you doing? If it's gas (Oxy-acetelene), you can just use the gold colored metal hangers for welding rods. It's just crap metal that's fine for welding exhaust systems.

JR

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32+Aug 16 2004, 07:33 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Aug 16 2004, 07:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DMX@Aug 16 2004, 07:15 AM

Its loud :)  Keep in mind its no cats, no resonator -2.5" straight pipe ALL the way back to the dual flowmaster 40s and moving a LOT of air even at idle.  Its not ricey at all, its very menacing but...just a little too loud for my tastes.

One thing I wonder about though, the exhaust pulses are pretty damn strong, I can stand a good 5 feet behind the car and still feel the exhaust pulsating against my hand, it was somewhat like that last year too but this time its much more pronounced.  Its been so long since the car was stock that I cant remember if that was "normal"  <_< .  Anyone got any insight?
What kind of welding are you doing? If it's gas (Oxy-acetelene), you can just use the gold colored metal hangers for welding rods. It's just crap metal that's fine for welding exhaust systems.

JR [/b][/quote]
Nothing special, just some flux core on a cheap welder from Harbor Freight. By "professional" i meant with more welds and less clamps :)

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Flux cored MIG, Basically one of these >> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=33244

It uses .030 flux cored wire, it has a fair amount of spatter but there is no need to worry about filling/storing huge tanks and mixing gases.

I think you might have misunderstood, the welder I have doesnt use rods.

Oh ok. Yeah...if you're mig welding, then you need decent wire that doesn't have any impurities, otherwise you get gas buildups inside the weld, which can weaken it. If you're gas welding with oxygen and acetylene, you can just use hangers because with that technique it doesn't really matter about the deposits and such.

JR

X, my SC does the same thing, it has to do with the higher compression and your new cam having more intake lift and less overlap than your old cam..

Your taurus and my SC are running practically the same compression since we cut down the block AND heads on my SC.. I'm at about 8.9:1 and you are most likely around 9.1:1 if you decked the head at all..

My stock taurus has a bit of pulsation, but nothing like the SC.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.