Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having sick thoughts of cutting off the cats and welding a straight pipe in thier place. Just looking to get rid of a pretty big restriction and improve flow a bit without spending a ton for custom stuff at an exhaust shop.

If anyone has done this, how does it sound? I know it'll be at least *a little* louder, but I want to avoid obnoxiously loud at all cost (daily driver). I also dont want anything too ricey sounding, if I have to i'll just lose the flowmaster 40s, add glasspack for resonator and get some quiet mufflers.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
ok my im now straight pipe no resonnator et no muffler the only mufler i have is one of those muffler that augment the base sound and it is like a mustang 3.8 just a bit less bass and if you keep your original muffler in the back is really not too bad lolllll the only thing you have to be sure there is no sensor in the back of those cat cuz they are your car will be **** up cuz of that sensor check that before you do anything

·
Registered
230 Posts
well, no cats generaly tends to be very raspy, and it will make a difference in volume too (louder). i'm not sure if you are one of the people that care, but you will fail emissions as well. a big resonator will take out alot of the rasp but you will still have some. a set of high flow cats will prevent alot of rasp, help you pass emissions, and won't be that restrictive at all. and also keep in mind that anything that increases exhaust flow generally increases volume.
matt

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I have the precats that are on the headers, but i cut off the 3rd cat after the engine y-pipe. It made a wonderful difference, and i get no rasp at all. I think its worth gettting rid of at least one cat (if you have more than one). If you only have one, maybe a high flow cat would work quite well too.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only 2 cats on m 95 3.8, I assume that goes for all the Gen 2s as well. As for hollowing them out, i've heard that wont help much, something about the hollowed out area acting as a huge "expansion chamber" and impeding flow. Its pretty safe to say you will increase the slow over stock, but not as much as a straight pipe.

For reference, here's my freshly pulled Y-pipe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I guess one way to look at it, is to the fact that it's the same engien used in the newer Mustangs, and alot of people that want to pref theirt 3.8's run a 5.0 off road H pipe into to Flowmaster mufflers, It does sound nice for sure, yeah it is loud becasue you have less restriction and especially if you go through Flowmaster Mufflers :D

So yes you can bypass your cats "IF" you don't have to worry about Emissions testing in your area......

When I get My proper SHO, I plan on getting an Y pipe made so that I can swap out the Y pipe for the cats when I need to

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I had a gutted exhaust system on my old 1990 Taurus. (Vulcan)

I Drove the car with stock exhaust system but not cat and it was louder, but not obnoxiously. However, after I removed the resonator and muffler and installeda cherry bomb it was extremely loud.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Point of no return....

If its too loud i'll sell the flows and put my MUCH quieter "cherry bomb turbo mufflers" back on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honeycomb stuff on the inside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Can you put high flow cats on a gen 3 vulcan without getting a service engine light? Also...what size are the pipes...My grandma needs new cat's on her '98 and it needs to be as cheap as possible...I know someone who can install them. I was going to start a thread but I figured I could get an answer here....

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well I put 2 high flows cats a for a while though and I havent seen the Service Engine Soon sign since I put them. I bought 2 high flow cats at 52 each but they could sell it more cheaper on Ebay I think.

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Before I put the high flows cats I removed all the crap inside them. It sounded really nice and at WOT sounded better, and I noticed it increased so it was somehow quicker than before. Even though I used to hit the gas set in P and the mufflers sounded like flowmasters trust me but that depends in the muffler someone gets though. While driving with the stock cats but without the stuff it had inside them I was wasting to much fuel though so I decided to replace them with high flows cats.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
what size are the pipes on the gen 3 vulcan? I'm looking at ordering some right now B)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I think they are 2.25" stock if I am wrong, someone could correct if I am wrong. I upgraded my pipes with 3''

Frank

·
Registered
230 Posts
I thought about putting a straight pipe on mine also , but in Texas I'm still required to have cats. thats why I was looking for an easy way hot gut 'em.
i have heard of people opening up the cats, taking the honeycomb crap out, and putting a piece of straight pipe in it's place. not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you will pass a visual inspection this way.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by rudedog@Jul 3 2004, 06:48 PM
I'm still thinking of a good way to "hollow" them out on a gen2 without making it damn obvious!!!!!
Roto-rooter?

·
Registered
712 Posts
That was a joke, BTW.

Anyone that can weld worth a crap, should be able to make a set tthat looks real,

Spray 'em with satltwater everyday for a week to give the authentic look if neccesary.

You don't have to have a sniffer shoved up the tailpipe do you?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts