Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thinking about it, i don't know too much about it though (new forum layout wont let me search, doing this all from my phone) and i have some questions...

short and to the point, what are the perks? drawbacks? procedure?

engine is 3.0 vulcan (97)

anyone here do it to theirs? is there a sound difference?

thats all for now, thanks for any help

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally pointless unless you enlarge the exhaust valve and port size.

and if im willing to do so? what would i be expecting? uped HP? more exhaust sound? i havnt been able to read into this too much and the search doesnt work on my phone anymore...

also, what is "stroking"? i read some where that "the vulcan responds well to stroking"...

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I did some mild porting on my exhaust manifolds. Mostly to get rid of casting imperfections and smooth out the entrance to the manifolds. No performance or sound gains. The most I got from doing this was reduced under-hood temps because I mummified both manifolds in heat wrap.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you couple it with larger exhaust ports and valves, you could see maybe 15-20 hp. Not a huge gain. The biggest difference would be high RPM performance. Not gonna make much difference on the sound though. The exhaust still has to go through the cats, and those absorb a lot of sound.

Stroking is where you modify the engines internals so that you get a longer stroke. It basically consists of a longer, stronger crank and shorter rods. This increases torque. This is a major operation and is best done by a machine shop or engine builder.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some mild porting on my exhaust manifolds. Mostly to get rid of casting imperfections and smooth out the entrance to the manifolds. No performance or sound gains. The most I got from doing this was reduced under-hood temps because I mummified both manifolds in heat wrap.
always good to see your input, always seems a step in the right direction...

anyways, 15-20 here and there can really add up after a bit, if it's something i can do at home (or a friends) then i may just do so...

as for stroking ill check some shops around here... anyone in the dfw know a good place?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and im not too worried about sound, only worried
she may get TOO loud... dont know if you saw the video i made for my exhaust, but there's a beastly little demon in there

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
If you get rid of your cats, and keep the straight pipes, then it will be too loud. Unbearably loud. You'll be "the guy you cant stand driving next to" loud, only worse. :noes:

A simple port job on the exhaust manifolds won't make it any louder. :) Ported heads might, but not by much. That's where you'll see some good power increases.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
A Valve job is no "at home" job....To enlarge them you're gonna need some tools, expereience, and your car is gonna be down for a day or two...maybe more because you might have to source out larger valves... but with how ridiculously huge the intake valve is.. your work is limited.. i doubt you could port match the intake....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you get rid of your cats, and keep the straight pipes, then it will be too loud. Unbearably loud. You'll be "the guy you cant stand driving next to" loud, only worse. :noes:

A simple port job on the exhaust manifolds won't make it any louder. :) Ported heads might, but not by much. That's where you'll see some good power increases.
cant get rid of the cats (and wont, it would sound like crap) cause i wont pass inspection without them, even the shop that did my straight wont touch it without them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts