Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wub: My continuing Gen 3 3.O L Vulcan saga.

In attempting to remove the rear manifold from the engine so that I could replace it with a Federal Version (the current one is CA non-FFV) so that the EGR tube I got from FORD would fit the EGR Valve to the manifold and also to the EGR sensor and the vacuum hoses, one of the exhaust manifold bolts broke off inside the rear exhaust manifold and is still screwed into the eyelid on the rear head. I managed to extract the old manifold by prying it out beyond the remaining bolt shaft which now looks lite a thread shaft. I have tried vise crips, and bolt extractors from Sears and Lisle. Non of the afformentioned have worked. Needles to say I've plastered with PB and other chemicals and I am considering using heat but I have concerns about warping the head eyelet. Another course of action is to restore the thread (8.0 mm 1.25) with a dye and then bolting on two 8 mm 1.25 bolts. By using two wrenches against each other I've been able in the past to free stuck bolts, but on this deal I am again concerned about tearing off the eyelet. Should I simply remove the head and have a machine shop take it off or is it worth taking a crack out with the afore mentioned cross matched bolts? Any other suggestions or sollutions will be greatfully appreciated.

Excelsior!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Soak it for a day in PB blaster then try the double nut

After that I would
Try some heat

Pull the head if that doesn't work.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
34 Posts
is the one of the top three, or bottom.

i cut off the remainder of the bolt, temporarilt re-attached the manifold to use as a guide, and drilled out the leftovers. there is enough space to get a nut between the head and the manifold flange.

if you need, i can send a pic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts