Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have an exhaust leak coming from somewhere around the front axle. How can I test this? What do you spray on the pipe to look for leaks?

I only seem to notice the noise at idle, not under acceleration, and I don't think you can hear it with the doors closed.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
An exhaust leak typically gets louder when you press on the gas pedal. A leak at the exhaust manifold sounds kind of like a ticking sound that goes up and down with engine rpm's, and gets louder the more you press on the gas.

A leak at the downpipe, catalytic converters, or flexpipe is also another place around the wheels where the exhaust can leak from. Leaks from here will also get louder when you press the gas, and sound more higher picthed than a leak at the muffler, which has a deep tone.

I don't know of anything you can spray on the pipe to test for a leak, by the time you can hear the leak, the hole is already way too big to find with any type of soapy spray. I usually put my car up on ramps and start it up, then search around with your eyes and ears for the leak, you'll be able to hear where it's coming from and quickly find it. Check around rusty flanges also.

I had to replace the rear exhaust manifold gasket on my sable last weekend. And I just had to tighten up the flange bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo on my volvo, and then a coolant hose on my sable exploded in my driveway. It hasn't been my week for leaks!

Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I acutally don't think it's a hole in a pipe. I think it might be a worn gasket(if there is one), or a loose bolt. Oh well, guess I'll take it to my mechanic and let them look.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by DayOff@Jul 18 2004, 04:43 PM
I think I may have an exhaust leak coming from somewhere around the front axle. How can I test this? What do you spray on the pipe to look for leaks?

I only seem to notice the noise at idle, not under acceleration, and I don't think you can hear it with the doors closed.
Not that it helps, but if you are located somewhere that gets cooler/cold at night, you will be able to see the exhaust/water vapor from the leak. On an average night in New England, it gets cold enough where I can see the exhaust coming out of my muffler. Usually around 50-60 degrees.

It helps if its really cold out (ie winter), but its July right now :banana:

-DC

·
Registered
31 Posts
what year is your taurus?

I have a 2002 and on a cold start it too sounds like an exhaust leak up front near the engine.

I havnt looked closely yet though.

more RPM's doesnt seem to make it louder and you cant hear it inside.

id like opnions on this too.

Curtis

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Curtis@Jul 20 2004, 02:43 PM
what year is your taurus?

I have a 2002 and on a cold start it too sounds like an exhaust leak up front near the engine.

I havnt looked closely yet though.

more RPM's doesnt seem to make it louder and you cant hear it inside.

id like opnions on this too.

Curtis
I noticed mine sounds a bit funnier at startup. It sounds a bit louder for about 25 seconds, but as soon as it heats up it sounds normal. I dont think its anything to worry about.

-Damon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts