Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I posted this on the "old" board or whatever, and I was told that any Gen3 exhaust should fit in my 96'. Well I went to the junkyard and got the complete exhaust out of a 97 or 98 (I'll check tonight which year). Anyways, it was quite a bit different, won't work at all.
I'm getting tired of not being able to drive it cuz there's no exhaust right now. Atleast none after the flex tube thing anyways.
So my question is will only a 96' exhaust work on a 96', or what's the deal?

B

·
0 Posts
96-99 are all the same, with the exception of the fake duals on the Tec, and the SHO is completely different, but still adaptable. What doesn't fit?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's too short, the muffler is to close to the inside of the rear quarter panel (if that's what it's called), and the bends for the gas tank "channel" are wrong, close but wrong. JUst not sure why it would be different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I sure wasn't installing it incorrectly, and it came off a Taurus 97/98, it was green btw

The bends for the gas tank channel were close to what my stock exhaust was, but it was still off. I will check the p/n on the muffler today and post that, so we can see what it's off of.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe your car and the donor car used different exhaust hangars. A slight change in the hanger location might be causing your "tight" installation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about Sables? The cars were/are so covered in snow I didn't actually check to see whether it was a Taurus or a Sable, could there be a difference? I couldn't read the darn p/n to well, I will try and clean it up 2nite.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a '99 Duratec Sable with the dual exhaust muffler. I had to replace the muffler about a year ago. The Ford replacement muffler had the hangers welded in slightly different places. The muffler shop cut them off, then rewelded them to where my original ones were.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
sabe exause is slightly diffrent because the overall length of the car is longer (in the trunk area. Thats why you are having issues.

Brad

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
What do you guys mean when u say,
96-99 are all the same, with the exception of the fake duals on the Tec, and the SHO is completely different, but still adaptable. What doesn't fit? [/b]
Every Duratec I've seen, the dual exaust was working fine. I mean equal exaust out of both tail pipes.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Ok, now I see.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Dec 31 2003, 08:18 AM
sabe exause is slightly diffrent because the overall length of the car is longer (in the trunk area. Thats why you are having issues.

Brad
Kind of old now, but I didn't get any email notification of more replies.

So tonight I am gonna figure out what I am gonna do (use pieces of stock and "Sable" exhaust).
Now the thing is it didn't have a flex tube (which should have hinted me right away it wasn't right) which the stock exhaust does have one.
Will I have any problems if I used the "Sable" exhaust that doesn't have a flex tube?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by spridget@Jan 22 2004, 02:02 AM
I suggest you find a good place along the existing exhuast pipe to cut and weld on the new pipe. It's best that you keep your flex pipe.
Thanks. I took a look at it last night and figured out what I am gonna do.
The flex pipe had an enlarger fitting on it, so I removed that, so now I can put new pipe on the flex pipe w/o any issues. The other side I may just need to buy a small bend piece, but chances are all I need is a 42" long pipe with a 2" inner diameter.
Also someone offered to weld for me (I don't have a welder).

Edit: so yeah I will be using all stock pieces minus the new 42" section and new muffler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts