Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 92 SHO with a 3.0 5 speed with 88,000 miles on it. I was wondering what outer SHO owners did for exhaust I wont some thing a little louder but I don’t wont it to sound like a riced out honda. What do they make for air intake aftermarket for the SHO's.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Turbo mufflers are decent and cheap. Summitt racing sells them for 15 bucks a pop.

Im not sure as far as intakes go.

-DC

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
YOu can gut the cats out. Flowmasters are more expensive than turbo mufflers, but you might like the sound of them better. They won't sound like a honda.

As for the intake, remove the intake silencer cone. You can custom fab a cold air intake with some information that you've gleaned from this website (do a search). Use a K&N cone filter with a CAI or get a K&N panel filter.

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Unless you have a larger MAF than stock then just put in a cloth filter and take the fender air box off.

B

·
0 Posts
The Dynomax system available from Summit Racing sounds nice. Not ricey at all. I've heard Flowmaster 50's on a SHO, and they sounded like crap. It's a little tough to find good sounding non ricey mufflers for the V6 SHO. Apparently it's all in the resonator, a longer resonator will cut down on raspiness.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I agree with Bob. Flowmasters arent the best sounding IMO for a v6 sho. I have heard straight through mufflers (magnaflow or comparable) and they seemed to sound pretty good. There is no way youre going to get your high compression, high revving (yamaha) v6 to sound like a 5.0 v8. If you get a system on there that sounds decent, and is low on rasp, and you are happy with it, then rock on. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand I wont sound like a 5.0 V8. I will have to fab up some thing for the air box. Me and my friend made a true could air intake box for my truck came out really good. He also has a mashie shop in the basement. I will check out Dynomax and magnaflow. I don’t need a system I just wont mufflers. I picked up the car last night drives so nice. Faster than what I am use to driving right now I have a 1990 Ford Bronco with the 5.8 in it. The truck is bad on gas I would 35-40min form home at a caterpillar dealer ship it is $80 a week in gas.

thank chris

·
Registered
230 Posts
go do a search over at www.shoforum.com you will find more than you need

consensus is that before you change your mufflers, swap out the y-pipe i have heard many good things about the one from midwestsho.com. the dyynomax is supposed to sound good, as are magnaflows and summit turbos, just make sure you put in a resonator, the bigger the better. 14"-20" works best, and the longer the resonator themore rasp and high frequencies it will filter out. you can get good resonators at hotexhaust.com.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You will not improve the performance of the V6 SHO intake with any other CAI as long as you are stock. Get rid of the air box and put in a K&N.

The GEN 2 SHO has a factory CAI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts