Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Souljaraggs (kurk) did something similar, but kept the 3rd cat, and didnt have mufflers in the rear. Sounded good. Yours would be like the v8 borla setup.

I'd run dual 2" to the rear. 2.25 would likely cause a loss in exhaust velocity.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 17 2009, 05:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733074
Souljaraggs (kurk) did something similar, but kept the 3rd cat, and didnt have mufflers in the rear. Sounded good. Yours would be like the v8 borla setup.

I'd run dual 2" to the rear. 2.25 would likely cause a loss in exhaust velocity.[/b]

Thanks. Removing the cat and resonator for sure. Considering a Dynomax at the cat location and running dual 2' from there. I haven't settled on either ends muffler(s), yet. Maybe even dual Thrush glasspacks on the exhaust side and the Dynomax cross flow replacing the cat...

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Magnaflow high flow cats running to a Y with 2 flowmaster 44s. Should sound puurrrtyyy.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Delete 3rd cat and resonator, run some sort of cheap glasspack(resonator) and then a magnaflow out back. Or if you want to be a test mule I want to see what a Hooker Aerochamber muffler sounds like on the vulcan! :)

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
keep in mind he has a duratec so it definetly wont sound like kurks car.

honestly man i just wish i could get an exhaust video online im ready to pay someone to do it! I have no 3rd cat, a 4" 32"long magnaflow super resonator with 2.25 straight pipe.

gained a bit up top but lost tiny bit of torque with this setup. someone told me my car sounds like a non turbo supra the other day!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (s2knott @ Jun 18 2009, 10:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733274
keep in mind he has a duratec so it definetly wont sound like kurks car.

honestly man i just wish i could get an exhaust video online im ready to pay someone to do it! I have no 3rd cat, a 4" 32"long magnaflow super resonator with 2.25 straight pipe.

gained a bit up top but lost tiny bit of torque with this setup. someone told me my car sounds like a non turbo supra the other day![/b]

I'd love to hear it. I'm going for a quiet rumble on my car. If that even makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
honestly tecs have a great quiet rumble with a flowmaster 40 series.

but im currently uploading a exhaust video of my car, on a ****** camera but you can get the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw your vids. I'm looking for a similar sound but about a 100 decibels lower.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Your original idea was on the right track. Think "big" when it comes to the size of the resonator.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 18 2009, 03:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733357
Your original idea was on the right track. Think "big" when it comes to the size of the resonator.[/b]

the 50 series: Shell 5" X 10 " X 17" - 23" Overall Length Cost: ~$121

the Dynomax Crossflo Shell 4 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 20" - 25" Over all Length Cost: ~ $115

I'm guess the 50 series would make a better resonator replacement?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Jun 18 2009, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733382
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 18 2009, 03:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733357
Your original idea was on the right track. Think "big" when it comes to the size of the resonator.[/b]

the 50 series: Shell 5" X 10 " X 17" - 23" Overall Length Cost: ~$121

the Dynomax Crossflo Shell 4 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 20" - 25" Over all Length Cost: ~ $115

I'm guess the 50 series would make a better resonator replacement?
[/b][/quote]

Dynomax sucks IMO. Get a real muffler. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pricing this out right now with the 50 series and a pair of thrush glass packs.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
please dont use glasspacks or dynomax.....just not great quality!

i just ordered a Flowtech warlock muffler for my tec due to recent complaints from parents, neighbors and local police. but it will be a bit quieter than a flowmaster 40 but it does have a cut out so i can go back to a straight pipe if needed.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
It's gonna be loud. Louder than you'd want it, methinks.

Spend a little extra, and get round magnaflow resonators/mufflers. They're stainless, so they won't rot (on the inside or outside). The flow 50 sounds like a good idea, for a 'resonator'.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 22 2009, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734250

Spend a little extra, and get round magnaflow resonators/mufflers. They're stainless, so they won't rot (on the inside or outside). The flow 50 sounds like a good idea, for a 'resonator'.[/b]
"magnaflow resonators/mufflers" A pair of these? Satin Stainless Steel Mufflers

I do not want it to be loud. I want some tone from the car but I do not want loud at all. Would the above provide tone and less loud? I understand I'm going to have to have some amount of "loud" to get tone.

·
Registered
507 Posts
To my 05 Duratec I added a Magnaflow 4 inch resonator, then an Aero turbine resonator in the diagonal just in front of the rear suspension. Went with a Stainless Summit in place of the OE muffler to round out the straight through, low restriction system. Wanted an all stainless system that would last, give good tone and have low back pressure. Everything is welded together, no clamps. This system is a little loud for my taste, but it has no resonance at any speed and is not noticeable at all from 60mph on up. I did the same thing on my Vulcan 3.0 which was mellow and hardly noticeable at any speed unless the windows were down. Even then it was just a nice deep sound but not at all obnoxious. I should mention that with the Vulcan I did not install the Magnaflow resonator, only the Aero Turbine resonator just ahead of the rear suspension in the diagonal area (the Aero Turbine resonator is short and fits perfectly in that space). The Magnaflow on inspection is clearly of less quality than either the Summit or Aero Turbine mufflers. And, those mufflers use ceramic packing material rather than the cheaper rockwool or stainless roving used in the Magnaflow. Sad, but Chinese slave labor allows for a better grade of stainless on the exterior and higher quality guts than that used on mufflers made here. What can I say, I prefer the quality along with a better price.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Jun 22 2009, 02:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734258
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 22 2009, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734250

Spend a little extra, and get round magnaflow resonators/mufflers. They're stainless, so they won't rot (on the inside or outside). The flow 50 sounds like a good idea, for a 'resonator'.[/b]
"magnaflow resonators/mufflers" A pair of these? Satin Stainless Steel Mufflers

I do not want it to be loud. I want some tone from the car but I do not want loud at all. Would the above provide tone and less loud? I understand I'm going to have to have some amount of "loud" to get tone.
[/b][/quote]
Those are exactly what I speak of. Unfortunately, they won't be very quiet. They wont be obnoxious loud, but probably a little too much noise to accompany the "tone". You may have to go with a set of full-on mufflers to meet the noise requirement you'd like. The 4" body magnaflows work great as resonators.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts