Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing quite like the feeling you get when your rusty exhaust finally falls right off. Or at least half off. After work today, I aws on my way to pick up a few groceries. I'm stopped at a red light, my already loud from rusting out exhaust burbling away, when I suddenly hear this faint *chink* BLULBULBULBULBUBLUBLUB and my exhaust gets to loud it's vibrating the entire car. I pull into the first parking lot I can to discover that my exhaust pipe has literally fallen off, right behind the front cat it appears, with the dragging end facing toward the FRONT of the car. Lucky me! If it was pointing backward, I could at least drive it relatively safely around town until I can get it to a shop. Now I can't even go over a manhole cover without fear of the remaining pipe spearing my gas tank. Woot!

Silly me, I thought I was going to make it through the winter without a major repair bill on the old beast... instead I'll likely have to shell out $$$ for a complete exhaust replacement, and it's too dang cold to try to mess around with it myself right now. Hopefully they can save the old catalytic converter, at least. What's even worse is that the shop voted "least likely to screw you blue" out of all the places in town, is the local Ford dealership. Go figure!

On top of that, one of the main computers at work suffered a hard drive failure over the weekend, of course it's out of warranty, so I spent the entire day moving, restoring, and swapping the remaining computers around so that our service could continue relatively uninterrupted. What's next? Everyone knows, electronics & appliances always die in threes...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hopefully it will be something simple like a dvd player or a vcr or something. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I suddenly hear this faint *chink* BLULBULBULBULBUBLUBLUB and my exhaust gets to loud it's vibrating the entire car.
[/b]
Step 1: Get a recording of it :grin2:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I suddenly hear this faint *chink* BLULBULBULBULBUBLUBLUB and my exhaust gets to loud it's vibrating the entire car.
[/b]
Step 1: Get a recording of it :grin2:
[/b][/quote]

Not a bad idea. Would be nice to see what it sounds like considering im debating doing a cutout before the muffler

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, no sound clips this time. Dropped it off at Ford this morning, about $250 for them to fabricate a new exhaust pipe from the cat back + a muffler, 3 hours of labor. I was going to be happy as long as the bill was under $300. That and a new battery, for the cost of one monthly car payment, the SHO spends the nasty winter sitting in a garage, and my car insurance rates stay lower. If I get hit with another big repair bill on the old bull this winter, though, I may have to throw in the towel.

As for the loudness, if you do a cut off, make sure it's farther back than the front passenger seat LOL... gave me a headache just driving 2 miles to the garage!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
When we still had my dads Saab, the exhaust rusted out several times, the last 2 pretty much off the headers. Both times we had to drive the car 30 miles open headers. I didn't know a 1.9L could be THAT LOUD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts