Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months with increasing frequency, my 93 sable GS hasn't been starting. Now it's dead. The battery is strong; the starter turns and turns and turns, but the engine doesn't fire up.

Waiting a few hours or trying the next day usually "solves" the problem.

My friend had some sory of goo bal in her exhaust that would roll back when going up hills, severely restricting the performance of her jeep. I recently got a deep tune-up, my fuel system was crippled and likely not burning a lot of fuel. Could a gooey gas ball be clogging my exhaust enough to prevent it from starting?

I'm going to try disconnecting the exhaust line at the catalytic converter in hopes that something farther down the line is blocked.

Is my idea complete nonsense?

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Restircted exhaust is a very slight possibility, but I would put money on TFI or PIP failing. VERY VERY common problem on millions of EEC IV Fords. Your symptoms fit the typical TFI / PIP intermittant failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is there any way of testing my TFI (also known as ICM?) & PIP once I've pulled them?
And the PIP is inside my distributor, right?

This feels like it's leading in the right direction...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced my TFI and it's still not starting.

Without owning any specialized tools, is there a way to see if my spark plugs are firing?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Without owning any specialized tools, is there a way to see if my spark plugs are firing?
pull plug wire, remove plug, insert plug back into wire, ground plug, crank engine over, it will either spark or not.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
if you even suspect exhaust them take out the front oxygen sensors thn try to start it...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Usually a plugged exhaust results in lack of power, not a no-start. The exception was my 96 LX that had the exhaust full of ice.

PIPs and TFIs both like to go out. Usually when it's hot. Restarting "hours or days later leans me towards the TFI, even if it tests good.

I've replaced the PIP in my Mustang a couple times, I take it to a machine shop and the parts are about $25 and the labor for them to install it is about $25. I reinstall the dist. and I'm on my way.

I'd recommend the Motorcraft PIP. One of my replacements was a disintegrated cheapo part. They like to go out at the most inopportune of times.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Usually a plugged exhaust results in lack of power, not a no-start.
I had a converter melt on my Dakota, on the freeway and the truck died in the lane. I pulled over and it would not start. Had all my tools in the bed as I was on my way to the first day of work at a new job. Disconnected the pipe from the manifold, it started right up and I drove it to the nearest exhaust shop.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, but Chrysler's cats would clog just because they were junk. Ford stuff is generally much better quality and the cats don't usually clog until a tuning problem plugs them up.

I agree, cats would be low down on the list. I would check to see if you are even getting spark per the above instructions, and from there decide what you need to do. There is also a possibility your fuel pump isn't working, you should check that out too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts