Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started experiencing this problem a couple of days ago. While starting the car (cranking it) it felt like the whole engine was rattling inside the bay. I could feel it straight through the steering column. After the car starts and while I'm still in park I can still feel it though nowhere near as pronounced. As soon as I shift into drive though it practically disappears except for when I accelerate hard, then I feel like something's shifting in the engine bay.

Any idea what this could be? Maybe a motor/engine mount?

·
Registered
389 Posts
No need for a garage really, just someone to watch the engine while you start the car. If it looks like it wants to jump out and rip your nads off when trying to start it, it's motor mounts. Also, once it's started, put it in drive and, with your foot on the brake, give it some gas. If it rocks like the Titanic (more than an inch or 2), it's the front mount. Do it again in reverse, if it rocks then, it's the rear mount. I'm sure you can guess if it does it both ways. :)

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. Checked it out and it's obvious the front motor mount is gone; there's movement on the rear but I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Anyway, I called the shop I go to get a ballpark figure on replacing both motor mounts and they said $425 give or take. Uhhh . . . no. I'm just going to save my money until I have enough for a decent down payment on a new car. I wonder how long you can drive with a bad motor mount before other things start breaking? Guess I'll find out. ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
IMO, the front mount looks easier to replace than the rear. $425 seems excessive though. I think I paid $270-something for both a little over a year ago for both, parts included. I'm lazy and have no patience, that's why I didn't do it myself. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Originally posted by Xee@Jul 15 2004, 10:34 AM
I wonder how long you can drive with a bad motor mount before other things start breaking? Guess I'll find out. ;)
Well, how's your transmission been doing lately?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini+Jul 15 2004, 09:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheGreatZambini @ Jul 15 2004, 09:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Xee@Jul 15 2004, 10:34 AM
I wonder how long you can drive with a bad motor mount before other things start breaking? Guess I'll find out. ;)
Well, how's your transmission been doing lately?[/b][/quote]
It's been slippin' for a long time now; way before the mounts, alternator, struts, tie-rod ends, or wheel bearing went out. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts