Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do an exhaust on my SEL and I dont have any ideas of how the taurus would sound with something else other than my stock muffler.

i dont want ricey sound, just a nice tone.

and could I convert to the dual exhaust?

does anyone have sound clips of the Duratec with aftermarket exhaust?

i downloaded a clip of the mazda 6 with the dual exhaust and it sounds awsome.
I think they have the same motor as the Taurus except it has V-tec which adds 20hp.. correct?

whoa, why cant I edit my post name... its typoed... lol oh well

Thanks- Charlie

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I have dual flowmaster 40's on my duratec and it sounds great IMO. Same goes for SableSal. If you want to convert to dual the cheapest way would be to go to a junk yard and cut off the rear y pipe from one with dual already and get two flowmaster 40 series (original not delta) bring them to a shop and have them install it for you. If you don't bring that rear y pipe they will charge you big bucks to recreate that (if they can w/o something to model it after). Or if you want to upgrade you can do a custom dual back system (not true dual) and upgrade to 2.5 since the gen4 is 2.25 stock.

Yeah, the mazda 6 has the duratec except it has VVT (Variable Valve Timing) which gains it the extra 20 HP. Unfortunately i don't have a sound clip but if you tell me where you heard the mazda clip at and what exhaust it had i could tell you if it sounds similar to mine, IMO that is.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I just took a quick listen to that clip and i think the dual flowmaster 40's i have sound deeper and louder then that but keep in mind i'm comparing that to a sound clip on the computer. :rolleyes: I've noticed mine have an almost late 80's mustang or camaro like sound to them right between 2-2.5k rpm. I've very happy with them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
hey i just got my pipe on ahha i am very happy with it and sorry i know i said that i would have a clip for you all on monday and all but i ran in to a few problems...

well i ordered it with 2day shiping and i figured that the mail runs on sat i would get it sat but i didnt so i came on monday ... then when you think it is all going good i get the pipe preped for the insall and the old pipe off i fine there is no more wire coming out of my welder so with the night shot i clamp the new pipe on the best i can ... it realy was bad cause i could not get it to mount right with a clam unless it was all cocked in there goofy like ( it looked like a "white-trash ricer" install ) so i had to drive it like that for a day ... i wore a hat and dark sunglasses... so last night i picked up some wire and now i have it on and sounds great!! and has the coolest idle ...

but i did not have any thing to record it so hopefully to night ill record and tomarrow post

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
My Flowmasters are going on this weekend, along with new plugs and plug wires, so hopefully I'll get a nice little performance boost out of this (I know it won't be much, but at least with the louder exhaust I'll FEEL like I'm moving faster!) I'm bringing my laptop, and although I don't have a very good mic, I'll try to get a decent clip of the setup with dual 40s and a 'tec!

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm also going to get a clip with no mufflers on the car, so we'll see how it sounds. I am so damn excited for this. I think I'm going to use chamfered chrome tips rather than downturns. If I can't find chamfered tips, I'm just going to use straight pipes.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Are you going with the 45's? There is a guy around the corner from my office that is parting out a Chevy C1500 that is running dual flows and I'm hoping they fit because I want them really BAD! He only wants $125 for em'.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm going with regular flow 40s. I got them on ebay for $40 apiecee, shipped, brand spanking new. You could get brand new ones for cheaper than $125.

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Aug 11 2004, 09:21 AM
Are you going with the 45's? There is a guy around the corner from my office that is parting out a Chevy C1500 that is running dual flows and I'm hoping they fit because I want them really BAD! He only wants $125 for em'.
As JR said you can get 2 new flowmaster 40 series (original not delta) for less then 100 new and shipped, i believe mine were just over 95 or so with shipping. I got mine from Performance Curve (in my signature line).

Ouch just checked looks like the prices have risen for them. Performance curve has then for 54 per now instead of 40 like they did when i got mine. Wonder if the rise in metal prices caused this. Just checked ebay and performance curve still has some on there for like 38 new so check there.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Thanks Nathan and JR. I'll check with them before I try to force the flows off of the C1500 onto my bull.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Although you guys seem to like them, I've heard others say that they don't like the sound of 40's on their Duratecs. Not sure what the exact reason is, but that's what I've heard.
I've heard them on Jason8225's GenIV Vulcan, and I think they sound pretty good, but you'll never find me buying them just for the fact that almost every other Taurus owner that changes mufflers gets 40's.

My Flowmasters are going on this weekend, along with new plugs and plug wires, so hopefully I'll get a nice little performance boost out of this
You might not notice a performance gain, but hopefully your car will at least run a bit smoother. I just replaced the battery cables on my SHO last night, and although I didn't expect anything at all, my car does start a lot smoother and quicker than it has in the past.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I personally chose flowmasters because i have a history of using them on my cars (and friend's cars) and have been very pleased with them. It had nothing to do with others using them on their bulls, it just so happens that some before me used them and many after me it seems. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have just a Cherry Bomb resonator right now, and I hate the way it sounds. The idle tone is great and it sounds decent until you break 2.5k rpm. Then it screams out "Rice!!!!", and gets some popping on deceleration. I have ordered a cheap Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler(for 25 bucks, how could I say no?), which I plan on using in conjunction with the glasspack. Once I get it installed (Im on vacation right now, itll be on by the 13th), Ill check back and let you guys know what I think.
~~Maverick~~

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
hey very nice! i want to see day pics!!!

also do you think you could redo the idle rev movie, and stand a little farther away from the car, my speakers sound all crackly i cant hear it very well, the other movies are great!

·
Registered
517 Posts
ya i was planing on taking pics and redoing the idle movie
i was kinda upset when first saw it but i could not do any thing about it right away so i left it... but i think it has one of the coolest idles nothing like i have ever heard before

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Aug 12 2004, 08:31 AM
here they are hope you enjoy them :banana:

:banana: My VIDS :banana:

this is a straight through magnaflow 4" round stainless steel
:thumb:

I like it.

I have 2 summitt turbos that need to go on, but thats gonna require some custom piping work, which I dont have the $$$ for right now.

I am too po' for the magnaflow, but it still sounds damn good. B)

-DC

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
dang!! sounds mean. hehe, I like the rev limit one. I hated my stock limiter, it would always get me. keep up the great work. :chili:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts