Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car throwing code P0175.. Had engine light reset. Its 25-30 degrees here in NY and my damn car needs its inspection. 370 miles on it no light back on yet but EGR and EVaP refusing to go to ready mode. Spent 3 hours yesterday of doing the stop to 45 miles an hour routine to at least try to get the EGR ready.

Even with the 8 hour overnight the EVAP wont go into ready mode. If I could at least get the EGR to get ready then my car would pass inspection. Its also the code p0175 that appears.. mechanic said I have a vacum leak and is wondering if the is a valve check in the engine to.
Please help.. He at least gave me a used sticker till the end of this month. This car is starting to give me an ulcer! Could it be a fuel injector or a bad DPFE causing this car to run rich???
Thanks!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
What engine does your car have? Could be a DPFE issue. If it's a Tec, could be clogged EGR passageways. Evap could be as simple as a bad gas cap gasket.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
EGR IM monitor should set pretty quick with varied driving. I have seen the EGR IM set in as little as 10 min of driving after codes are cleared. Might want to check for pending EGR codes.

With the outside temps you have, EVAP will not run on its own until it warms up outside. A good bidirectional scan tool will let you force the EVAP test to run.

P0175 is a bank 2 RICH code. Rich codes are NOT caused by vac leaks, lean codes (0171 / 0174) are. Find a different mechanic who actually understands OBDII.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told him you said that Jeff.. Now the car is at 467 miles check engine light still off.
I dont feel like running back to Newburgh again today... And yes Dan it's a duratech engine which was totally rebuilt last year at 161,000 miles.. Would a bad DPFE cause it to run rich?
I have been driving it to work varied miles on highway and off so this issue is giving me a freaking ulcer. Might stop by my mechanic that sold me this beast today and have them scan check it and see if its ready..
The only positive benefit is the mechanic who has been checking it gave me a used sticker til the end of the month and hasn't charged me a dime yet.
Also with all the work done to this car do you think the puter needs to be updated?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
... And yes Dan it's a duratech engine which was totally rebuilt last year at 161,000 miles.. Would a bad DPFE cause it to run rich?
Not as much as clogged EGR passageways in the face of the UIM where the throttle body mounts to it. The DPFE can't measure anything if these are clogged to begin with. Only Tecs have them.
They probably pulled the U/LIM for rebuild, put it back on not serviced.
Take off flex to throttle body, unbolt & remove throttle body & gasket from UIM, they're right there in your face. Gasket is reusable if you don't damage it.
Something to check.

The top left of the dirty passageway goes back to the EGR you see at left in the pic. It has to be clean all the way. The EGR is easy to get off to do this.

After some cleaning:

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
You need to find a different mechanic..... there is NO WAY that a vac leak will cause a rich code!!!! Rich codes are pretty easy to troubleshoot. If long term fuel trims on both banks are both way negative and similar to each other (like -20%, -18%), the likely causes are too high fuel pressure or (unlikely) the fuel pressure regulator in return type systems having a blown diaphram leaking gas into the refernence vac line (could hapen with the returnless system electronic FP sensor, but I have never heard of this happening). High ACTUAL fuel pressure (not the pressure reported to the PCM by the sensor) could be due to the pressure sensor failing / out of calibration, or the vac reference line to the sensor disconnected / damaged.

If LTFTs are way negative on bank 2 (the 175 pending) but near zero on bank 1, most likely cause is a sticking / leaking injector on bank 2. SOme kind of intake air restriction that effects bank 2 only could cause this problem, but it isnt obvious how this could happen, and if bank 2 intake is restricted, engine would likely run poorly.

There are no vac check valves INSIDE the engine, but are several in vac lines coming off the vac tree connected to the intake manifold. Doesnt matter, since vac leaks cause LEAN CODES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask the mechanic if they have looked at fuel trims for both banks (or if they even know what fuel trims are).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Jeff,

Will do.. I think I might bring this beast to ford and have them dx it.. Since they have the specific scanners.

BTW the light stayed off long enough for me to check it and finally have it pass inspection.

I have been keeping the gas tank between 3/4 to full. Last night I decided not to do that and it go down to the 1/2 mark and the freaking light came back on after 674 miles. at least it is passed till next year Thank God!

But Im am gonna print out your post and bring it to them. I did tell them to check the fuel pressure like you said.. Which they didnt.

My car seems to run beautiful though. no stumbling or hesitation.. and I put in gumout injector cleaner which seems to cut out the pinging. As far as the intake maanifold gasket I dont now if previous gargage changed it when they rebuilt the engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not as much as clogged EGR passageways in the face of the UIM where the throttle body mounts to it. The DPFE can't measure anything if these are clogged to begin with. Only Tecs have them.
They probably pulled the U/LIM for rebuild, put it back on not serviced.
Take off flex to throttle body, unbolt & remove throttle body & gasket from UIM, they're right there in your face. Gasket is reusable if you don't damage it.
Something to check.

The top left of the dirty passageway goes back to the EGR you see at left in the pic. It has to be clean all the way. The EGR is easy to get off to do this.

After some cleaning:

In the pic above there is a bolt in the upper right hand corner missing and the hole isn't perfectly lined up. I dont spend to much time under my hood since the pins are missing or broken on my driver side hood arm.. It already fell on my head one time while I was checking the oil. Lucky it didnt knock me out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.