Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parts/mods do I need to make my standard Taurus Vulcan take in Ethanol without messing things up, nor killing my gas mileage?

Lots of gas stations are starting to put it in their gas, roughly 10% ethanol to 1gallon of gasoline. I ended up losing roughly 30miles total between from Full to E, when the light comes on.

Basically, I got 200miles out of 10.5gallons when i used gas with 10% ethanol... I normally get 220 in less than 10gallons!

Getting the right components or whatever help with gas mileage when I use ethanol. I know I will still loose some mileage, but I don't want it to be that severe...

Can't wait until I get my Honda civic!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It's not worth it. If you want an FFV car, buy an FFV car. You'd have to chage: injectors, fuel lines, fuel pump, many engine seals, computer, among other things, and you won't net ANYTHING for doing it.

JR

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
What parts/mods do I need to make my standard Taurus Vulcan take in Ethanol without messing things up, nor killing my gas mileage?

[/b]
If you think e10 killed your mileage, what do you think will happen when you're running 85% ethanol? You ain't saving ANY money or mileage by converting to a flex fuel car. Chances are, if you did the flex fuel stuff to the car, the computer would detect the ethanol and probably end up dumping more fuel than it is now.

Just wait for your civic, or stay off the pedal, if you want super amazing mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
What kind of driving do you do, mainly around town? 200 miles per tank sucks.

I would not spend the money to convert to ethanol. In my state there is ONE filling station, it's about 35 miles from my house I think. My Taurus is flex fuel so I'm going to fill up with it next time I'm in the area just for the hell of it, but from what I read it's not worth it.

I just traded my Civic in. Mainly since I didn't want to pay for it anymore but also because the quality of the new ones is :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
E85 will only benifit you if your engine is optimized for it. that means really high compression or high compression and boost.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of driving do you do, mainly around town? 200 miles per tank sucks.

I would not spend the money to convert to ethanol. In my state there is ONE filling station, it's about 35 miles from my house I think. My Taurus is flex fuel so I'm going to fill up with it next time I'm in the area just for the hell of it, but from what I read it's not worth it.

I just traded my Civic in. Mainly since I didn't want to pay for it anymore but also because the quality of the new ones is :thumbsdown:
[/b]

I'm not a lead foot. Gotta realize that even though I have a 16gallon tank, my fuel light comes on at around 10 gallons. So, when I fill it up, I divide the mileage by the amount of gas it takes until the gas pump stops automatically. So it averages between 20-22mpg.

Today I refueled when the odometer just rolled over to 200miles and it took over 10gallons and my driving habits were the same. And yes, air filter, oil, and fuel filter were replaced less than a month ago.

I'm getting a 95 Civic DX coupe. I know i'll be making a handful of sacrifices such as power steering, ice cold AC (coldest the Civic will get is 55F, compared to 39F the taurus gets), 4-doors, electric doors/windows, but i'll be saving money on gas as I won't have to fill up every week. It gets 30mpg. I've been driving it here and there as I'm learning to drive a stick shift, so it's at my parents house. We are going to trade cars. The civic for the taurus so that my little brothers have a car (a safer car) to learn how to drive without having to learn how to drive a stick shift.

E85 will only benifit you if your engine is optimized for it. that means really high compression or high compression and boost.
[/b]

Then I guess I'll have to boost my civic heh.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
It gets 30mpg
[/b]
30mpg highway? If that's so then it is not worth it. I get a good 28mpg higway with my Taurus. An extra 2 miles per gallon isn't worth losing the torque and the interior space.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
E85 will only benifit you if your engine is optimized for it. that means really high compression or high compression and boost. [/b]
:werd: E85 loves the boost. Loves it loooong time.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So it averages between 20-22mpg.
[/b]
Something might be wrong.

30mpg highway? If that's so then it is not worth it. I get a good 28mpg higway with my Taurus. An extra 2 miles per gallon isn't worth losing the torque and the interior space.
[/b]
Very true, I wouldn't trade it even for 5mpg. Having V6 power and lots of space is nice. Plus the Taurus can take a hell of a bigger beating then the Civic can, so your a lot safer if you end up in a wreck.

I always thought E85 was used mainly for its cleaner emissions not fuel economy.
[/b]
I think the same

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I always thought E85 was used mainly for its cleaner emissions not fuel economy.
[/b]
That is correct good sir. The car gets REALLY thirsty on the corn fuel. If I drive in only stop and go houston traffic, the car gets maybe...13mpg? Possibly 14. I am never courageous enough to calculate my mileage after that kind of driving. If I do my "school commute" driving (60/40 city/inner-city highways driving), the car will average 19-20, and that's if I stay off the pedal. Tuning would probably help with that consumption issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts