Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story here but I will skip the details to make things quicker. I am considering swaping my a my drivetrian from my 95 3.0 wagon to a 93 Sable wagon with an Essex with a bad head gasket. Both are California cars and as such both bodies ate in great shape - no rust anywhere.

I would drop the subframes with engines and trannies and do the switch that way. Yes, I would take all my underhood 3.0 engine wiring. The question is, what about under the dash? I am hoping all I have to do is plug the underhood **** to a the harness at the firewall, and put my vulcan ECU in the sable.

Any input welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Didn't you ask this on SHO forum?

Any way, If you get the wiring diagrams for both you should be able to see if there are any differences in the pin outs. You may get lucky and not have to change anything, except the ECU itself.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did. Only reason was that TCCA was down. I am hoping someone can tell me - "ya, I did this, wiring just hooked up to the firewall and I was good to go." Or, "I did a 3.0 tp 3.8 and the dash wiring was the same." I have a CD for a 95 but not a 93. Both cars have ABS, dual airbags. I would thiink that those wiring sytems are not tied into the engine wiring. IE, I pull the vulcan subframe, put it in the sable, and then plug the vulcan wiring into the firewall, switch out the ECU, and I am rolling. I hope anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
replace the head gasket on the Essex and do a tune up, much easier, and much more fun engine! :thumb:

mines been bulletproof past... 58k miles, im at 159k now and no problems in sight (headgaskets went at 101k) *knock on wood*

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I see what your saying, my vulcan, is not what you'ld call quick, But, I have a SHO and the 95 is our commuter car, groceries etc. The essex has a blown head gasket, but is that all? I don't know because the owner pulled the intake manifold in preparation for fixing the head gasket. I could easily change it and find out something else is wrong. My engine/trans run great and it has only 74K.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
out of curiosity what is wrong with the 95 that you want to put the engine in another car?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely nothing. Runs like a top. The problem is my 92 SHOwagon. The thing is a rust bucket. Not as bad as some, but a lot worse than anything here in California. There are no holes in it but the undercarriage is full of surface rust. And it needs paint due to hail. So I came across the sable and thought I could do a swap from the SHO into the Sable. The body is perfect but the sable is brown. I don't know if I want a brown SHO, that looks like any other Sable wagon. So, I am thinking of putting the 95's running gear in the Sable, and using the 95 as a platform for the SHO drivetrian. But only if I don't have to pull the dash out of the Sable to swap in the 3.0. Cause It looks like I would have to do that to the 95 if I want to do a SHO swap, I don't want to do it twice.

I have a body guy coming to look at the SHO wagon on Mnday, if he says painting the car won't be too expensive then I will stick w/the SHO wagon - it would be the easiest thing, thou, if I keep her it needs:
Complete front suspension to include steering rack.
2 doors (I have them)
brake lines
inner door panels fixed
glass for the driver's door
new center cinsole
subframe replaced (due to rust (I just finished degreasing) the new one - it liooks awasome and will be used w/whatever I do
back panels repainted - theyr black and they nver madfe a black interiored wagon
AC only works out the defrost (blend door actuators)?
Headliner is saging
radiator (I would need that anyway)

I still may keep her, (it looks cool w/the green wheels and I like the sunroof, black interior is a plus as well) - but it is such a shame to see other Tauri out here w/great bodies - my 95 has no rust at all, same w/the sable I am looking at for $300.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
could you swap everything from the SHO to the sable? (front bumper headlights, interior etc.) and then just have it painted green? then you wouldnt have to touch the 95?

cause if you think about you would only be putting an engine in one car instead of two and would save a ton of time? just a thought lol

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (sable23 @ Mar 1 2009, 04:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704078
could you swap everything from the SHO to the sable? (front bumper headlights, interior etc.) and then just have it painted green? then you wouldnt have to touch the 95?

cause if you think about you would only be putting an engine in one car instead of two and would save a ton of time? just a thought lol[/b]
I've thought of that but then I would be into painting a car agin - an engine swap I can do, piant I would have to pay for.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
the head gaskets are not hard at all to do and are fairly cheap as well, if it were me, id at least try fixing the head gaskets, draining the coolant and oil, and putting new fluids in and seein if she cranks up. Then you can pull some codes to see if its worth it to go on from there.

but if your all set to do an engine swap and everything, then go for it =)

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may try fixing it. I am still wondering though, if I did the swap - would I have to pull the dash apart and change the wiring under there? Anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
as for engines idk but in my old 97 which had the vulcan and ax4n my dad put in an ax4s from a 96 and just had to swap computers

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, plug and play? I suspect that my situation would be plug and play as well but I am not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Yes I did. Only reason was that TCCA was down. I am hoping someone can tell me - "ya, I did this, wiring just hooked up to the firewall and I was good to go." Or, "I did a 3.0 tp 3.8 and the dash wiring was the same." I have a CD for a 95 but not a 93. Both cars have ABS, dual airbags. I would think that those wiring systems are not tied into the engine wiring. IE, I pull the Vulcan sub frame, put it in the sable, and then plug the Vulcan wiring into the firewall, switch out the ECU, and I am rolling. I hope anyway.[/b]
Dude, don't get so defensive. Sometimes you just WILL NOT get the exact answer you want. Honestly I don't think anyone has done the swap you want to do. At least I can't ever remember anyone doing it. If it was 3.8 for 3.8, or 3.0 for 3.0, then you'd have your answer, it WOULD BE that simple. That's why I suggested the pinout diagrams. I see you posted you don't have the 93 cd. Have you checked the local library for the Ford Book, the branch down the street from me has ALL KINDS of factory, Chiltons, Mitchell books. Maybe you could take the info from the cd you DO have and compare it to the actual harness on the other car and see if they are different, it'd be the same thing. If all the wire colors match for each spot, more than likely they're probably for the same controller/component. Under the dash should be all the same.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not being defensive. And I know, info is hit or miss. Didn't mean my post to be defensive. Most stuff I have done to my 95 I did w/info from this site. I had just thought someone might have knocked out a 3.8 -3.0 swap or vice versa. If not, based on what info I have got from everyone here and SHO Forum, and my own intuition, I do not think the Dashes would have to be pulled apart. Unfortunately, I don't have a 3.8 powered car sitting here to compare with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts