Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I need a little more guidance on a temp gauge issue that I'm seeing on the 2007 SEL I just picked up for my son. I DID read thru several threads but there is some inconsistency in either descriptions and/or resolution. On this car, while driving, the temp gauge indicator will suddenly swing over and peg, indicating an overheating situation even though the car is not overheating. The chime will sound when this happens. The needle will stay pegged anywhere between a few seconds and minute, then will go back down to the middle or normal range. The car displays no driveability problems when this happens. There is no consistency when it happens. It happened about 4 times yesterday during a 40 minute ride, but never happened later that evening while running a few errands.

I plugged up my OBD reader and there were no codes present.
I then ran the Engineering Test Mode THIS MORNING while the car was cold (did not start the engine) and got three "Continuous DTC" codes, which based on what I've found, is proprietary information. Still, those codes are:
DTC $E013; DTC $9208; DTC $9318

HOWEVER, while in ETM, (again, did NOT start the engine) the Coolant Temp indicated 92C.. which is 197.6F - whut??
So is the issue the gauge or gauge cluster; a bad sender; or, as in once case, a bad Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) or Powertrain Control Module (PCM)?

One other thing..the car does have an erratic/lumpy idle (no performance cams here..lol). DO you think a thorough MAF/TB cleaning would help fix that?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Don't think you have a CCRM. Could a bad temperature sensor for the gauge. There are two, one for gauge and one for pcm. If your scan tool does live data then monitor the pcm sensor temp when gauge pegs out. If it show hot then the engine is hot. It also could be a wiring issue from sensor to gauge. Maybe a loose connector to sensor which I believe is a one wire sensor to gauge. PCM uses two wires to sensor

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection (open circuit) to the coolant sensor. Did you check to make sure that the contacts on both the sensor and wire harness plug are clean and not corroded? You can also try smacking the dash right above the instrument cluster next time it happens and see if that temporary fixes the problem. If it does, that would likely indicate a bad instrument cluster or a bad wire harness connector for the instrument cluster.

The digital thermometer in ETM maybe holding the last known temperature if it's not receiving a current reading from the sensor, which might explain why you are seeing 92C on a cold engine... IDK, just a guess...

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
All G 4.5 use the ECT for both the PCM and the dash temp gauge.

The ECT is a NTC (negative temp coefficient) thermistor meaning that as temp goes up the resistance goes down non linearly. If there was high resistance in the ECT circuit the PCM and temp gauge would would indicate lower than actual temp, not higher. I would replace the ECT with a new or JY Motorcraft part. DO NOT use a cheap no name ECT from the discount parts store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All G 4.5 use the ECT for both the PCM and the dash temp gauge.

The ECT is a NTC (negative temp coefficient) thermistor meaning that as temp goes up the resistance goes down non linearly. If there was high resistance in the ECT circuit the PCM and temp gauge would would indicate lower than actual temp, not higher. I would replace the ECT with a new or JY Motorcraft part. DO NOT use a cheap no name ECT from the discount parts store.
Thank You so much. Is this what I'm looking for, from Rock Auto?
MOTORCRAFT SW2328 {#F1SF10884AA, F1SZ10884A}

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still learning about the car. I'll go look and see but I think I will need some guidance. Whereabouts should I be looking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it..the ECT, that is..
also, what is this vent hose thing located on the Passenger side of the engine compartment?
I'm searching the site for engine diagrams and a service manual as well..

Attachments

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
You don't want the Motorcraft SW2328. It has a threaded terminal for a cap/boot connector. That hose "thingy" appears to be your wiper fluid line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I was able to cancel the ECT order in time from Rock Auto and ordered an "NKT" version , supposedly developed by the NGK company

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have similar probs with a Gen3 SHO, happens after 20 mins drives in +90F weather, stop and go with full AC on auto.
Gauge goes up, and only comes back down when switching off AC. Shop did full test on radiators, sensors, thermostat. etc.. found nothing. they let the car run idle for 4 hours without overheating. as soon as the AC gets back on , a few mins later its showing back up.
Someone suggested to clean out space between ac condensor and radiator.

used OBDII to pull engine temp and temp was showing near 230 F.
turning of AC went back to 200F . Also used a laser thermometer. Temps were in line with gauge fluctuations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks to Sheila and Jeff K for their suggestions. Replaced the ECT yesterday and drove it to and from work today with no temp gauge swings! Y'all rock! I have a couple other issues but I'll start a new thread for those.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The last time mine did that I suspected all the hard stuff- sensors, bad thermostat etc.
It was a case of Occam's razor ( The simplest explanation is usually the right one) - a leaky coolant hose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
REDTRUCKCHASER
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing