Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the engine gets to temp on my '01, the idle starts to fluctuate. I found some post about this, and most thought it to be the AIC valve. But, none of the posters confirmed this, so I'm not sure. I did notice a vacuum hose leak, so I'm going to fix that first to see if that fixes the problem. Cheaper than a new AIC as well!

Also, I've read that you can clean out the AIC with carb cleaner? I don't want to destroy a good AIC, so can I do this safely?

Courtney

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
It's IAC. Change the vacuum line first. If that doesn't fix it you can try cleaning the IAC with throttle body cleaner. If it doesn't fix it then you were going to have to buy a new one anyways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's IAC. Change the vacuum line first. If that doesn't fix it you can try cleaning the IAC with throttle body cleaner. If it doesn't fix it then you were going to have to buy a new one anyways.
[/b]
Thanks! It's the hose going to the PCV that's leaking. Looks like it's a dealer part, and the dealer's parts counter was closed for inventory today. :angry:

Will carb cleaner due? Samething, isn't it?

Courtney

·
Registered
834 Posts
Very good chance that vaccum leak on the PCV hose is your problem. I've read a few recent posts saying that trying to clean an IAC valve could do more harm than good IF the valve is in working condition to start with. Ford issued a TSB I believe saying to replace a malfunctioning valve instead of cleaning it cuz its only a temporary fix at best.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Carb cleaner may eat the Teflon coating on the throttle body, not sure about the IAC but I had TB cleaner on hand when I did it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've had a 97 Vulcan I could never get to idle correctly. Neither could Ford. Sometimes they just get erratic. I'd say its the vacuum leak. If the IAC or AIC valve was bad, then it wouldn't start. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I've had a 97 Vulcan I could never get to idle correctly. Neither could Ford. Sometimes they just get erratic. I'd say its the vacuum leak. If the IAC or AIC valve was bad, then it wouldn't start. Keep us posted.
[/b]
Not true - sometimes it can start, but won't idle well, with a failing IAC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also seem to have a vacuum leak through that line that sits on top of the pcv. Since you guys say this is a dealer part, can i just go to autozone and just ask for any vacuum line that the same size? Also, what is the metal cylinder that connects with the pcv line and the one next to it?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
All the late model vulcans seem to idle a little wierd, I've only driven 7 of them as rentals, a little up and down on the tach, mabe about 100 rpm var, other times it's totaly steady. My '93 vulcan didn't have a tach so I wouldn't know, but it ran the same as this one

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I also seem to have a vacuum leak through that line that sits on top of the pcv. Since you guys say this is a dealer part, can i just go to autozone and just ask for any vacuum line that the same size? Also, what is the metal cylinder that connects with the pcv line and the one next to it?
[/b]
Yes any vacuum line will work. What metal cylinder are you talking about?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts