Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, hi this is my first question here. i have a problem, im not sure what it is, sometimes when i am accelerating, it kind of jerks along, almost like it is getting fuel cut. so im not sure where to start with this, i replaced the pcv valve, lol. by the way, it only does it if it is a slow acceleration, if i hammer down it will start moving smoothly along, another reason i seem to think it is a fuel related problem. i have a new filter to put on, but i dont know how to decompress the fuel line, and i definately dont want any gas squirted all over me. well let me know what you guys think.

p.s.
the car does have a vaccum leak, i know this because when i have my air on, if i accellerate hard, it will start blowing out of the defrost ports. oh yeah, and do you guys know any good places to buy interior trim parts besides junk yards?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
several things could cause this. But major concern is check your fuel line. IF YOUR FUEL PUMP IS FUNCTIONAL, try to clean fuel line with those cleaning agents. Like Valvoline Max products would be fine. This is the place you want to start. if it doesn't go away then you have other problems. But lets start off here.

Also when was the last time you changed your spark plugs?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
When was the last time you had your transmission serviced? This is another symptom that some people tend to over look.

You may want to try cleaning your intake valves. You may have some serious carbon build up.

X

·
0 Posts
What engine and what year is your car?

There is a fuel shutoff switch in the trunk. Unplug that and try to start the car. This will get rid of most of the fuel. I disconnected my fuel lines and enough fuel came out to fill up half a yougart cup (medium size). By the time I was done with the fuel filter, more than half of the fuel I collected had evaporated

My car had a hesitation, I solved it by replacing my cam position sensor. The only way I knew to repalce this part was because my ses light threw a code for it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Or instead of flipping that switch, you could just pull the fuse for the fuel pump. Replace the fuel filter and run fuel injector cleaner through your next tank of gas, and see if that clears it up. If your injectors are that bad, it may require you take them out and clean them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i bought some Lucas fuel treatment, and a new fuel filter. i was going to change it, but its to dark now. i figured i would start with the fuel lines, and filter. if that doesnt work, then i will change the plugs and wires. then i will clean the injectors, i think i will most likely have to take them out and change them, seems to be about my luck. how hard is it to change the plugs on my car. it is the 97 gl. im not sure exactly what the specs are its a 3l v6 and it doesnt have flex fuel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, put in a new fuel filter, and i havent ran into the problem yet. seems to have solved it. but it is definately time to service a lot of things on it. im gonna change plugs and wires next, and recomendations?

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by snyper1982@Jan 19 2004, 09:19 AM
im gonna change plugs and wires next, and recomendations?
Stick with motorcraft. I think autolite may work too. Avoid other brands, half the fellow members have reports problems with other brands while the other half haven't. I'd just stick to oem in regards to ignition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats the difference in all these plugs, i went to autozones site, and they had some plugs going for 12 and another one going for 19! what the heck is the difference?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok looks like i spoke to soon, car started acting up again yesterday. so it looks like i need to replace those plugs and wires asap. so before i jump into this, any special tools i will need, or anything like that, i dont wanna get half way into this and find out i need some special tool, even though highly doubt i will. any other suggestions as to what may cause it? it also has a very rough idle sometimes, til i give it a little gas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update, i changed the plugs and wires. everything seemed to be going good. then later last night i started the car, and it was a seally rough idle, then it died. did it two more times last night. dont really know where to look now. i guess i will have to take the injectors out and clean them next weekend. any pointers? im assuming i will need a new throttle body gasket, and new intake manifold gasket. any other ideas what it could be? could a vaccum leak make a car idle really rough? it will be a really rough idle, then if i rev it up its ok, and will idle ok after that. im really hoping its not the fuel pump or something. i really dont want to have to yank out the gas tank and pay all that for a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Vacuum leak.
I had the same thing. Find all the leaks and replace those hoses. That's most likely your problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would it be easier to just replace all the vaccum lines? seems like it might be pretty hard to find and replace a line where i have no idea where it is leaking from. how hard would this be to just replace them all. or should i just take it in? how much would that cost?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
when i changed my plugs i either forgot to re-connect one of the plug wires or it fell off, but i was running on 5 cylinders...which made for a mad rough idel....so i would check that too

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i will check it out. i called around today about getting Vacuum lines replace, one place said anywhere from 30-70, plus parts, so thats not to bad. need to get that fixed anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
you also may have set the gap on the spark plugs incorrectly. They are typically gapped at about .045" from the factory, but the key here is ABOUT. Specs say between .042" and .046". Too little gap and you'll bridge the gap and foul the plug. Too much and you either not get a spark or burn up the plug. You can get a gap checker for a dollar at AutoZone. It's about the size of a silver dollar and has inch increments around the edge. I used a pair of calipers on mine good to .001," but that's just me.
You should also be running fuel injector cleaner about everytime you change the oil. I do it about every month, but again, that's just me.
Good luck.

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i would have gapped my plugs, but that was impossible, i got the bosch platinum +4. so a regap is impossible as far as i know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my car was doin the same thing and come to find out all i needed was a tune up, so i would get a new rotor dist.cap, spark plugs, spark plug cables. and my car has been running smooth since then, saves money on a fuel pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts