Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 24v 122,000 mi

i have an eratic idle problem when engine is cold. Even at stop lights i can feel car wanting to lurch forward. Once the engine gets to operoating temp it goes away. I have no check engine light on , but i have changed the air idle control vavle and it helped some but still does it. i have cleaned maff and air charge and throttle body and no help. Appreciate any input, thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sheila, pvc has been changed before but hoses are factory and so are the lower and upper intake gaskets. The hoses seem ok, but no clue on the gaskets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but after reading some info online, i think the gaskets for the 24v are over due for a change, right?

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
sheila, pvc has been changed before but hoses are factory and so are the lower and upper intake gaskets. The hoses seem ok, but no clue on the gaskets.
Factory hoses to PCV and the elbow are early failure, mine '03 by 80K and '01 by 110K. Elbows to the valve covers are also a problem including any other vacuum hoses.

See pic for my solution to the valve cover air vent.

When that fails, it lets "unmetered dirty" air into the crankcase, and into the accordian messing up the fuel mix and letting dirty air in the intake.

Failed PCV or hose will let oil vapor back into the accordian and into the mass air sensor.

-chart-

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updated fixed problem thanks to all

I had replaced iac, elbow(has small end and huge end) that goes under tb, and also replaced a rubber line that runs vertical near that elbow. Elbow was collapesd but not torn, the line had cracks all over it. The car idled worse after all this. So went ahead and replace lower and upper intake gaskets and that solved the problem

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Congrats! Makes sense. Intake gaskets may leak when cold, then swell up and seal when warm.
Agreed.

Great work BTW. Heck that's an easier job to change the LIM gaskets on the DOHC compared to the Vulcan :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jaja yea pretty easy, i even left the fuel rail and injectors alone, (changed o rings while back) there is good amount of rubber line that flexes enough to not mess with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts