Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Taurus SE with the 3.0 SOHC vulcan engine. I am currently looking at buying a 2004 Taurus (I beleive SES) with the 3.0 DOHC Duratec engine. I am going to be swapping engines and am curious about something. When I go to switch the engines and trannies over, am I also going to have to switch the computer and harness as well? Just wondering if it will be a nessecity or not. I have a couple weeks till anything is final, just gathering some info..

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes at the least you will need the PCM and harness.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
this is a much more involved swap then most people think you are basically goung to have to take everything from under the hood of the vulcan and put it into the one that had the duratec depending on which tranny each had you may need to swap over axles. and although i am not sure you may need to swap over fuel pumps as well

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I really want to know where you found that SOHC VULCAN, wow, gotta get one of those.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Someone here has already done it(can't remember who), wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy, for all the crap that he had to do.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ Apr 23 2009, 10:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719917
I really want to know where you found that SOHC VULCAN, wow, gotta get one of those.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Someone here has already done it(can't remember who), wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy, for all the crap that he had to do.[/b]
you thinking of nidan? iirc he put a duratec in a vulcan car

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yeah, it was Nidan. He does this stuff for a living and says he wouldn't do it again.

You'll basically need everything under the hood to go either Vulcan to Duratec or 'tec to Vulcan (since you don't really say which way you're going). Wiring, PCM, cooling system, a/c lines, power steering lines, etc....it's all different. If the Vulcan is an AX4S, the passenger's side driveshaft is different too.

What's wrong with the whole '04 (is it a whole car?)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im going from Vulcan in an 02 to the Duratec out of the 04. The 04 has from what i hear severe driver side and rear damage. engine, tranny, everything underneath and interior are in excellent condition. 800 ucks for whole vehicle. Using for parts basically. Im mainly doing it because i have an issue going on with my car and this just seems to be the cheaper way out of it and it gets me more horsepower. My current issue, which is unknown at the moment, is while under heavy acceleration, in between gears, i get massive hiccups in the switch, so instead of possibly needing a new tranny, and paying thousands, just get the whole kit and ca-budle so to speak and swap it out. I have the tools and means for the switch at my uncles place, just getting an idea of how bad its gonna be. So any in depth information i can get is most helpful. How hard was it for this Nidan guy, cuz im hoping to knock it all out in 2 days tops. Planning on facing the cars front end to front end, picking the tranny and engine out as wholes, and swinging them into the next vehicle. And to one of the posters, is the 3.0 Vulcan SOHC really that rare for a Taurus? To find at least?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
There's no such engine as a SOHC Vulcan. The Vulcan is a pushrod-actuated OHV V6, like the valvetrains on old-school muscle cars. Don't worry too much about it, you're not exactly the first to make that mistake.

So try to play nice, Rudy! ;)

ETA- I didn't know Qwertz was posting to this thread, too. But two posts with the same answer means that its true. That's the rule.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (Kriz_02Taurus @ Apr 23 2009, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719910
I have a 2002 Taurus SE with the 3.0 SOHC vulcan engine. I am currently looking at buying a 2004 Taurus (I beleive SES) with the 3.0 DOHC Duratec engine. I am going to be swapping engines and am curious about something. When I go to switch the engines and trannies over, am I also going to have to switch the computer and harness as well? Just wondering if it will be a nessecity or not. I have a couple weeks till anything is final, just gathering some info..[/b]
You may need to get new motor mounts.

Can anyone answer the following question? Would he need to swap the tranny too?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I was jus funnin' with the newb, no harm.

fdogg he should be able to drop both engines out the bottom, subframe and all, wiring, EVERYTHING. The "guy" that did this is a Master tech at a FORD dealer, using the dealer shop and equipment, he had all the possible FORD tools for either engined vehicle. And that man, Nidan, says he'd never do it again, I suggest you pm or e-mail HIM to get a straight answer, the rest of us are just trying to help you out in a round about way, since very few, if any, know all he went through.
My point, with the rib, was if you didn't know enough to know what engine is equipped with what valve train, or whether it actually exists .... personally, you should either do LOTS of reading to know your victims better, have it done else where, or just fix the '02. This is a very unorthodox engine swap. I'm not trying to discourage you, just think you should get yourself better prepared.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the entire subframe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, i sent him a PM this morning, no response yet tho. I did kinda browse his Prior Taurus. Now, i saw he had a 99 Taurus. Now, my thought would be, If he took a DOHC Duratec out of a 2000+ model Taurus, I can see where that would be a major issue. But the 02 and the 04 are the same Generation body-styles to the best of my knowledge with minor cosmetic changes, etc; tail lights (mainly reverse clear was drawn to a point instead of square) and interior was prolly tweaked) I honestly dont see why it we be too major of a swap being same exact frame and body. Thats basically why I posted on here, I dont know a lot about engines, as we clearly figured up in above posts. =) To me it would be common sense that motor mounts should align correctly and it would be a fairly easy drop in, but again, not big on the mechanics end of things. I do appreciate all the feed back im getting to this tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Be prepared for wiring issues. I am currently swapping an 02 duratec into a 99 that also had a duratec, and I am experiencing quite a few computer issues at the moment. I am taking the car to the dealership tomorrow to see if they can program the PCM to accept communication from the PATS system. I also discovered that the alternator runs through the PCM as well, resulting in a no charge situation. I may be looking at swapping all of the wiring from the 02 into the 99, including the dash, door panels.

So, it is not as simple as installing the new motor. I installed everything from the 02. The cradle, suspension, engine/trans/wiring, PCM, fuel lines, fuel tank, exhaust, cooler pack. I dropped everything out of the bottom of both cars. The actual swap of the motors is fairly straight forward. The cradles bolt right up, the steering bolts up, the wiring plugs in (but doesn't all work). I wasn't able to start the motor with the 02 PCM. The theft lamp flashed rapidly. If I installed the 99 PCM, I could start the car, but the alternator would not charge, and the trans O/D lamp stays lit. These are a few of my problems, so far. I spent quite a while working on the alternator problem today and discovered the PCM involvement with it.

If you want to see pics, check out my link.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007...mp;l=30c3eb9e77

If you have any questions about what I have done so far, please feel free to contact me.

I also just noticed that you are staying in the gen4. You may not experience the wiring problems that I am.

benny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (gogo5.0 @ Apr 26 2009, 05:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720800
Be prepared for wiring issues. I am currently swapping an 02 duratec into a 99 that also had a duratec, and I am experiencing quite a few computer issues at the moment. I am taking the car to the dealership tomorrow to see if they can program the PCM to accept communication from the PATS system. I also discovered that the alternator runs through the PCM as well, resulting in a no charge situation. I may be looking at swapping all of the wiring from the 02 into the 99, including the dash, door panels.

So, it is not as simple as installing the new motor. I installed everything from the 02. The cradle, suspension, engine/trans/wiring, PCM, fuel lines, fuel tank, exhaust, cooler pack. I dropped everything out of the bottom of both cars. The actual swap of the motors is fairly straight forward. The cradles bolt right up, the steering bolts up, the wiring plugs in (but doesn't all work). I wasn't able to start the motor with the 02 PCM. The theft lamp flashed rapidly. If I installed the 99 PCM, I could start the car, but the alternator would not charge, and the trans O/D lamp stays lit. These are a few of my problems, so far. I spent quite a while working on the alternator problem today and discovered the PCM involvement with it.

If you want to see pics, check out my link.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007...mp;l=30c3eb9e77

If you have any questions about what I have done so far, please feel free to contact me.

I also just noticed that you are staying in the gen4. You may not experience the wiring problems that I am.

benny[/b]

Thank you for the Input Benny, your on the same wave im on, i could see where u and Nidan would be running into some complications switching a Gen3 engine out for a Gen4. But If im staying in the same Generation, Everything, quite literally should bolt up without a hitch, no need to chang suspension/axles/ or anything else that is not DIRECTLY apart of the engine itself. My thinking, and again, im not engine savvy in the slightest, I should technically only have to swap engine and trans, and the computer, and i should be fine, But since im sure there are a lot of ford fanatics and dealership mechanics that post in here, I thought Id run my idea thru some more worth while channels for answers. I mean, where better to post this type of question then TCCA, A site dedicated to the love of Taurus's :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts