Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 92 sable and wondered if a 99+ mustang engine will fit in it? if not why? if i change the tranny and wiring harness and pcm.

also, what options do i have as far as engines go since i am going to replace it. i know i could do an sho but not sure what all is required, iw ould like to do the 3.8 s/c'd but not sure what all is required. either way i have to pull the engine out of the sable and put in another one. is it possivble to pull it out of the top? an engine shop said u cannot pull the engine out of the top w/o dropping it from bottom w/tranny attached????

any help on what i should do to this car would be apreciated!

thanks

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Much of this stuff has been answered many times on the forum. Please use the search option next time.

I have no clue about the mustang engine fitting. It's the same size (displacement wise), but not sure about what degree the cylinders are set at, and the total size of the engine.

JR

·
Registered
151 Posts
i think the 99 mustang had a 190 3.8 engine.
that yamaha engine looked good.
i mean the taurus and sable has the same chassis throughout the year's i dont see why not.

but if you can i highly recondmend the axod-sho auto tranny.
that thing kick's ass!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Always use the search option ... you could almost everything with the cash. Probably you might take a look in here and maybe this information might work for you.

Engine Swap Information

Hope it works.

Frank

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You can supercharge the existing 3.8L with a Thunderbird supercharger. The Mustang had the same engine as the Taurus/Sable, except it was for RWD. I believe after '99, it used the Windstar motor (I'd recommend this over the Mustang motor because it has 200 hp and it's FWD). If you're gonna swap the SHO motor in, it's best to grab the tranny and everything else under the hood. And again, you can do anything you want as long as you got enough money, time, and patience.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Yeah, I had a couple of threads about this in the past; the FWD 3.8 uses a shorter upper intake to clear the hood (RWD's didn't have to consider this problem), and the bellhousings will be different because of the different drive layout. A 97-98 Windstar engine would be a better candidate for a swap IMO (as Qwer said), but you'd still need to measure the height of the engine as the Split Port Induction intake might not clear our hoods...

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
back when I had my 88 vulcan I was hell bent on converting it to a SHO and after 6 months of reading I found it cheaper to buy a SHO. don't know much about the 3.8 engine though. I believe they started useing it in the 95 windstar or was it 96.

don't get me wrong the swap can be done but at a considerable cost and down time. how attached to your car are you?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Hey , you can buy a kit to put a 4.6 or 5.0 with RWD in a Focus, so anything is possible.......

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
yeah...they make a kit for the focus.... and leave us with what...lo

I'd love to have the 5.0 kit....rice out the focus....pull up to the honda boys....they'de never see it coming.....half of them dont even know the kit exists B)

As for your '92... I'm assuming you have a vulcan, maybe you could just supercharge that like that probe guy...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts