Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, 2002 SES Vulcan with 80 000 miles. You read the title correctly! I'll be driving down the road at let's say 40 mph and i'll floor it, it will downshif into second, but won't go over 3000-3500 rpm's... It feels as if I'm hitting the rev limiter.. It also seems to get worst as the load on the engine gets bigger ( I had 5 people in the car yesterday, including me, and I couldn't go further than 1/3 throttle) And now, the check-engine light is on.. Does this sound like a clogged fuel filter? Any input woulld be greatly appreciated! Thanks again! B)

Matt.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
It possibly could be the fuel filter.

Have the codes checked at Autozone and let us know what the specific code is.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Plugged converters will cause the same issue. Will the car rev over 3000rpm in neutral or park? If not I would suspect the converter(s). There's a check to see if the converters are working properly, is if you can get your hands on a thermal gun that is. Take the temp just before the converter and just after. The temp after the converter should be higher then the temp before the converter. If the temps are the same the converter is not working.

If it was the fuel filter, I would think there would be a noticeable misfire. And get that code(s) read also, that can help point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plugged converters will cause the same issue. Will the car rev over 3000rpm in neutral or park? If not I would suspect the converter(s). There's a check to see if the converters are working properly, is if you can get your hands on a thermal gun that is. Take the temp just before the converter and just after. The temp after the converter should be higher then the temp before the converter. If the temps are the same the converter is not working.

If it was the fuel filter, I would think there would be a noticeable misfire. And get that code(s) read also, that can help point you in the right direction.
[/b]
Yes, the car will rev higher that 3000 Rpm's in neutral, but the rev limiter is set to something like 3700-3800 rpm in neutral, so that wouldn't be a good indication... I'm going to get the codes read today, I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks again! B)

Matt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, got the code out and it reads P0191 Fuel rail pressure monitor... Does anyone know what would be causing this? Clogged fuel filter? Thanks again!

Matt.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance [/b]

Yeah, replace the fuel filter, couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
well it eitheir that or you have a vacum leak on the fuel regulator

so start with the fuel filter

and try to blow air trought it with your mouth and see if it really really hard to push trought and the color of the gaz coming out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, the car will rev higher that 3000 Rpm's in neutral, but the rev limiter is set to something like 3700-3800 rpm in neutral, so that wouldn't be a good indication... I'm going to get the codes read today, I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks again! B)

Matt.
I have a 2005 montego (taurus) 3.0l. I have changed my fuel rail press sensor 3x. 2x made it worse. This last unit has been good for over a year.
Time to order #4.
No code yet. Gonna change fps after I check CAT Temps, my rpm is at 3,000 max pedal to floor.
Thx FORD guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Are you flooring the gas pedal with the tranny in park or neutral? When it hits 3K RPM does it sound like it is missing? The rev limiter is set to 3K or so RPM in Park and Neutral.

Reactions: sheila
1 - 10 of 10 Posts