Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my car up in the morning when its cold outside, my car makes a whistling sound, and it comes from the engine, I suspect from the belts, but I could be wrong. It stops after it has warmed up for about 5 mins, then it goes away. I don't know if this questions been asked before, I'm sorry if it has, but, I'm curious as to what the noise is, and if its something to get worried over, thank you.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Sounds lke the Secondary Air Injection. What motor do you have?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1994 Ford Taurus GL with a 3.0L, Gen II I assume. If it is that, is that a really serious thing, or will the car still be fine?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by mrclean@Dec 6 2003, 07:40 PM
I have a 1994 Ford Taurus GL with a 3.0L, Gen II I assume. If it is that, is that a really serious thing, or will the car still be fine?
In that case you don't have a SAI system. Please list your motor and year when posting questions which may be engine specific.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I forgot that there are several different models when it comes to Taurus's, but I shall not make this Mistake again, but, if anyone might have an idea as to what is causing this "Whistle", the information would be much appreciated, once again, its 1994 Ford Taurus Gl, w/3.0 L V6, thank you.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Might be the IAC valve. It would be open more when the engine is cold. Does the whistle disappear when you just touch the gas pedal enough to open the throttle plate when idling?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, when I press on the throttle, the whistling stops, but comes back again once it reaches its normal idle again. Then after a few minutes its stops.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Then that is the IAC valve or you have a bit of build up on the throttle plate and it is being held open just a bit. See if the throttle plate is closed all the way when the car is off.

I think I remember reading about this on the Ford Flat Rate Tech forum.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YEah, I'll check the throttle plate, because it does seem to idle a little high too, so maybe its a little clogged, I can't do it now though, snow everywhere (I live in NY), and I don't have a garage right now, so, I'll see if that helps it, I might check it when I replace the brakes, probably next weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The IAC is on top of the TB and has an electrical connector going to it. It is solely responsible for idle air regulation and coast down air regulation in the OBDII cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Dec 7 2003, 08:48 PM
The IAC is on top of the TB and has an electrical connector going to it. It is solely responsible for idle air regulation and coast down air regulation in the OBDII cars.
Do IAC Valves clogg or get dirty easily? It was suggested to me to clean mine out, although I have no clue on how or what to use to clean it...

·
Registered
183 Posts
maybe someone stole ur car and put in a supercharger. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts