Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the problem: I have a 2000 Taurus with a 3.0 DOHC (Duratech?) engine. I have about 68K on the clock and I recently started to have this problem. when I start the car from cold it stalls or idles at about 200 RPMs and than stalls. If I hold the accelerator down for a few minutes to warm it up it runs fine.

The engine light is on with and EGR and EGR sensor code. The EGR appears to be running properly and I can not find an EGR position sensor of any sort. I have cleaned out the EGR and verifyed that it functions properly.

any thoughts???

My first plan of attack is to change the plugs (for OEM motorcraft ones) and change the fuel filter. I have read a few of the threads on this and I gather the back three will not be a fun job.

I would welcome any advice or thoughts.

-Todd

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Sounds like your DPFE sensor has gone bad. I don't know where they are located on the Duratecs, but that is most likely your problem. It looks like a little plastic or metal box with two hoses going into it. On my mom's 98 is metal. On my 99 it's plastic. We have vulcan engines so I don't know where it is on a Duratec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks; That is a good thought ... I have actually noticed that it is particularly bad on damp mornings. so your comments about moisture in it fits. I guess heating the car up would evaporate any moisture. I will check it out tonight.

-todd

G

·
There is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin out on the DPFE. Contact your local dealership and see if you car is covered under this and they may replace it for free. Were you getting codes P0401 or P0402? If so, it is the DPFE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
taht sounds about right. I think 401 and 402 were the codes. I will have ti hit the NHTSA site for the Tech Service Bulletins and see what I can get done.

Thanks for all the help.

-todd

Got it!!

Make : FORD
Model : TAURUS
Year : 2000
Service Bulletin Num : 02M01
Date of Bulletin: JUN 01, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10007207
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:
EXHAUST SYSTEM: EMISSION CONTROL: GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE (EGR VALVE)
Summary: CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM 02M01 SUPPLEMENT #4. CERTAIN FORD 2000 THROUGH 2003 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TUBE-MOUNTED EGR PRESSURE SENSOR - ADDITIONAL EGR PRESSURE SENSOR WARRANTY COVERAGE. *TT SUPPLEMENT #3. *MJ SUPPLEMENT #6. *TT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts