Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99, and it has been running fine the last week (I just pulled it out of storage) and now it is running a little weird. When I was on the expressway yesterday, I was going about 70mph. I went to speed up to pass, but when I stepped on the gas, and the rpms got to 3500 the rpms kept dipping and going back up. At the same time, I was not able to accelerate. It did the same thing again today. Now it seems to be doing the same thing even from a dead stop.....Could this just be the old gas working itself out of the system?( I have only filled the tank twice since I started driving it agai) Or is this a much bigger issue? It sat for about 6 years, and only has 40,000 miles on it.....HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Stop driving it until you can change the transmission fluid and filter! There's probably moisture in the transmission fluid, and it's making it slip. I would only use the flush procedure on this website as a power force flush can ruin an older transmission. I would also flush the coolant asap, as there's probably corrosion in there from sitting so long. Depending on how long it's been sitting, or if it has ever been done, I would also change the belt as well. Are the tires dry rotted or expired? I would flush the brake system, too.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
if it has been sitting for 6 years i would change the fuel filter and air filter if you have not already done so. as for the current trouble i think i have heard similar problems with cats going out but i cant remember for sure

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Are the actual engine RPM's going up and down, or is it the tach bouncing up and down? Tach bounce is a sign of a bad VSS on the transmission.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (drh1957 @ Mar 7 2009, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706335
Are the actual engine RPM's going up and down, or is it the tach bouncing up and down? Tach bounce is a sign of a bad VSS on the transmission.[/b]
That's speedo bounce, not tach bounce.
Check the fuel pressure too. Pump might not be able to give out enough pressure under load.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts