Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do an oil change sometime next month, so I figure I might as well add some of that high mileage engine treatment stuff. So, do they really restore HP and gas mileage or is it the Placebo effect? And which brand should I buy? There's like a whole bunch of them ranging from just the engine treatment for $6 to engine, transmission, and gas treatment in a package for $18.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I've tried gunk's 5 min flush, restore, and greased lightning's engine treatment with teflon. Just a bunch of worthless snake oil if you ask me.

The fuel system and fuel injector treatments, however, seem to work. I like the valvoline synthetic complete fuel system treatment; the once-a-year treatment that costs about $8-$10.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
After doing quite a bit of research on all these treatments last year I decided not to use any of them. I found complaint after complaint on these. There are lots of problems that many of them cause in the long run. I am sure there maybe one that is actually good. I have come to the conclusion, that if I use Amsoil I will not ever need any of these additives. Almost all oils come premixed with this stuff anyways. Amsoil, strictly says to avoid this with their oil as it is allready mixed with all kinds of goody stuff. It is pricey in the begining, but is cheaper in the long run if you only change it once a year. It is worth the investment, and gas mileage goes up too with Amsoil.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dad buys like a box of the Wal-Mart brand and changes the oil very often (like every 6 months and I only drive like 170 miles a month). So, will changing the oil that often help the engine better than the treatments?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ditto. Most of the stuff is junk, although I have heard good things about Auto-RX from Paul I think, although I have not used it. If you know your engine has lost compression you could try that "Restore" stuff, heard some good things about that too. Stuff with Teflon, like Slick 50, has been known to do damage in some cases. If you're not having any problems, I would say just use a quality oil, and consider using synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
from what I understand, the products are designed to recondition seals and the cylinder lining. Also, the tend to change the lubrication and viscosity of the oil properties. I used several different product on various high mileage cars and usually see positive results. These cars are the type where every little bit helps and if hurts, well... the car was a POS anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I use gunk oil flush every time. I took off my valve covers over thanksgiving, and even after 80k miles my valvetrain was perfectly clean. for only $3 an oil change, it's worth it to keep the valvetrain clean. as for oil additives, most oils already have conditioners and sealers mixed in them, so adding stuff will only clog things up, making it worse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Auto-Rx is great stuff. Used it on my car with great results and sems to have restored some of that lost horsepower that has diminished over the years. You should check out this website to see what people have said about Auto-Rx:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
369 Posts
Engine treatment? Here's what you do. Treat it with dignity and respect. Wash it often. Pet it and talk to it nicely. Perhaps read it a bedtime story once in a while. If you do this it will last forever. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by slider5634@Feb 23 2004, 06:36 AM
Engine treatment? Here's what you do. Treat it with dignity and respect. Wash it often. Pet it and talk to it nicely. Perhaps read it a bedtime story once in a while. If you do this it will last forever. LOL
Smartass!
:roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Feb 22 2004, 10:29 PM
I use gunk oil flush every time. I took off my valve covers over thanksgiving, and even after 80k miles my valvetrain was perfectly clean. for only $3 an oil change, it's worth it to keep the valvetrain clean. as for oil additives, most oils already have conditioners and sealers mixed in them, so adding stuff will only clog things up, making it worse.
I have never used any treatments or additives or flushes. I pulled off the valve covers at 105,00 miles on my 95 SHO and the valvetrain looked brand new. Since 12,000 miles on the clock, have used Mobil 1 5W30 every 3K miles. I contend that with regular oil changes with a high quality oil and a good filter (I use the Ford FL400S), nothing other than oil is needed.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have used BG 44k fuel system treatment and got an increase of about 1mpg on a car with about 142k miles on it. It is expensive (19.99) but does work and I've heard that their other products are just as good.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't use oil additives, although I did use Marvel Mystery Oil on my old car, and it worked pretty good (if you have a high mileage engine)...no one knows what it is, no one knows what it does...

I have used Chevron's Techron feul system cleaner, and I have to say that for $12 a bottle, the stuff is totally worth it. I haven't taken anything apart, so I can't say what the injectors look like, but I can feel the additional hp...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last time I was talking to my cars my wife laughed at me, now I only do it when she is not around...I find that it does work to talk to them.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even if I use Chevron gas all the time, should I also get a bottle of injector cleaner?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Feb 23 2004, 08:05 PM
Even if I use Chevron gas all the time, should I also get a bottle of injector cleaner?
injectors can get a waxy build-up, carbon deposits, and all kinds of other junk in them. Fuel injector cleaner will do nothing for the carbon build-up, but will clean out the waxy deposits. They do work, but as long as you buy good gas, you'll be fine. I don't know about Chevron, but as long as your car runs fine, I would only put it in every 10-20k. That's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by Markus+Feb 23 2004, 10:05 AM-->QUOTE (Markus @ Feb 23 2004, 10:05 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-silvapain
@Feb 22 2004, 10:29 PM
I use gunk oil flush every time.  I took off my valve covers over thanksgiving, and even after 80k miles my valvetrain was perfectly clean.  for only $3 an oil change, it's worth it to keep the valvetrain clean.  as for oil additives, most oils already have conditioners and sealers mixed in them, so adding stuff will only clog things up, making it worse.
I have never used any treatments or additives or flushes. I pulled off the valve covers at 105,00 miles on my 95 SHO and the valvetrain looked brand new. Since 12,000 miles on the clock, have used Mobil 1 5W30 every 3K miles. I contend that with regular oil changes with a high quality oil and a good filter (I use the Ford FL400S), nothing other than oil is needed.

Mark
95 SHO [/b]
I use royal purple oil, so I only have to change the oil every 15k miles. So $3 every 15k is not that hard on my pocketbook. Another good thing about oil flush, is it does a good job of getting all the old oil out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts