Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Taurus, Duratec, auto. trans. with floor shifter. I've been told that a 2001-02 Taurus/Sable Duratec, with floor shift transmission are the only interchangeable options.

Another source indicates the it does not matter if the Taurus has floor shift or column shift, that the transmissions are the same for either shift option.

I am requesting some advice from someone who is in the business to know and will steer me in the proper direction.

Thank You!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
No, that's only true with the G3. For the G4, the trans for the Duratec is the same regardless of shifter location. You just need to use the correct bracket on the TRS/MLPS for the shifter location.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
+1

the bracket is a easy external swap.

also you can swap the column/floor shifters as long as the shift patters match. some had the OD button on the end of the column shifter, you would have to add the wireing and use the t-bird floor shifter face plate and handle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it comes to the G4 Duratec, what year(s) are a bolt-in interchangeable swap? Am I limited to just 2001 & 2002?

May I ask for the defintion to TRS/MLPS?

Thanks for the posted information!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information! I still need some direction on the following.

When it comes to the G4 Duratec engine, what year(s) are a bolt-in interchangeable swap? Am I limited to just 2001 & 2002?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

When it comes to the G4 Duratec engine, what year(s) are a bolt-in interchangeable swap? Am I limited to just 2001 & 2002?
[/b]
You can only use the 2001-2002 Duratec for pure bolt-in interchangeability, according to http://www.car-part.com

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts

[/b]
There are no differences between 2001 and 2002 Duratecs. 2000 is not an option. 2003 is an option. About the only major change in 2003 I know of is a slight redesign of the intake manifold for added strength (cuz earlier ones were know to explode from backfires). The fuel rail is slightly different, but you can swap your old one over. As far as long block assemblies... I believe the '01-03 engines are the same. '04-05 Duratecs short blocks are virtually the same (minor internal updates that would not matter), but long blocks are different. The PCV system is completely different. The oil separator on the '96-'03 Duratec is removed and a block of plate is added. You cannot install the oil separator on the '04-05 engine without removing at least 1 head.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
also you can swap the column/floor shifters as long as the shift patters match. some had the OD button on the end of the column shifter, you would have to add the wireing and use the t-bird floor shifter face plate and handle.
[/b]
That's only true for the G3s also. No G4 has the OD button.

Multi-Lever Position Switch
[/b]
Manual-Lever Position Sensor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts