Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what engine swaps are possible on the Taurus. I have a 97 Taurus GL Sedan with the Vulcan 3.0 litre V6. I assume the DOHC V6 and the SHO V8 can be swapped in with relative ease. But what about more exotic engines? Has anyone heard of somethign truly wild? Like I'm thinking like 13b wild (13b- Mazda RX-7 engine) or even like SR20 (Nissan SR20DET, JDM Silvia engine from 91 to 01 (i think)), any help would be apprceiated.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
well, most of the exotics you listed are in rwd vehicles. it would be a chore to swap something like that in and find a tranny that would mate up to it. The 'tec and sho motor swaps, though easier than a 13b swap, are still a pain in the @$$. Like most say, if you want a 'tec or sho motor, just buy a car with one already in it.

S

·
0 Posts
Mark is right. If you want to do a engine swap, it would cost less to actually go out and purchase the vehicle that came with the motor, then swaping it in. I mean sure, it would bond you with your car. But other then that... I wouldn't waste my time.

I for one, would swap a SHO 3.4L in the Sable. Only for one reason, it hasn't been done, and for two. I love my Sable!!

SableSal

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Jul 16 2004, 01:46 AM
I for one, would swap a SHO 3.4L in the Sable. Only for one reason, it hasn't been done, and for two. I love my Sable!!
Sorry Sal, but it actually has. Someone on Cardomain did it.

-mobiuslogic

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mobiuslogic+Jul 16 2004, 03:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mobiuslogic @ Jul 16 2004, 03:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SableSal@Jul 16 2004, 01:46 AM

-mobiuslogic [/b][/quote]
I know, I have seen it... but I think it's :bs: . I dont know weather to believe it or not. Cause all it is, is an engine shot. Nothing more. Seems a little suspisous, thats all....

SableSal

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by mobiuslogic+Jul 16 2004, 02:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mobiuslogic @ Jul 16 2004, 02:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SableSal@Jul 16 2004, 01:46 AM

-mobiuslogic [/b][/quote]
That was a fake. the body colors didn't natch up.

Even when switching from the vulcan to the yamaha or the duratech, you still have to switch out entire wiring harnesses and the EEC. It's not near as easy as old carb engines.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Jul 16 2004, 08:20 AM
Even when switching from the vulcan to the yamaha or the duratech, you still have to switch out entire wiring harnesses and the EEC. It's not near as easy as old carb engines.
Like I said before, good luck in swapping computers as well. A Nissan ECU in a Ford just won't work, and getting a chip for it won't solve your woes either.

You'll have an easier route fabricating an adaptor for a supercharger and running a dry-shot of nitrous. The RX-7 motor was rated at 255 horse, so to get that power to weight ratio you'll need closer to 300. Luckily, the Vulcan motor is a strong, understressed engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curses, well the 13b was only a passing fancy, just cuz I was talking about RX-7s with somebody as I was posting, and the SR20 is only because I have Nissan blood running in my veins. But and engine swap is really that hard. I would think since they came in the same chassis that the wiring wouldn't be to bad. I mean if I alotted myself like a month to do it, I could probaly figure it out (ever seen a Subaru wiring harness, jeebus christ there messed up). The reason I ask is because for now, I am stuck with the Taurus, its my mom's car, and I'm buying it off her because they won't let me buy anything else, cuz they suck. I would like to have something fun to play with while I save for my S13 (89-94? 240sx). Man, ford makes me mad. I'm so use to engine swaps with Nissans (Skyline engines wedging in S13 and S14 bodies) where even different engines from different chassis will work, and in ford world, different engines from the same chassis don't work right. Darn ford, guess I just have to Turbo the vulcan like I orignally planned.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It WILL work, but the whole wiring harness and EEC have to go with it. The 3.4L Yamaha engine even uses the same tranny, so mechanically they all fit. It's a computer issue.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by AErrorist@Jul 16 2004, 11:37 AM
Darn ford, guess I just have to Turbo the vulcan like I orignally planned.
and make sure you document everything you do and them post it w/pics up here plz! ;D

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by AErrorist@Jul 16 2004, 11:37 AM
I'm so use to engine swaps with Nissans (Skyline engines wedging in S13 and S14 bodies) where even different engines from different chassis will work
You've actually swapped Skyline engines, or just heard of it? BIG difference. Not mnay modern day engines can be yanked and tossed in with no other modifications. At the very least, you'll need different mounts, different exhaust routing, ECU, etc. There are some exceptions (I've heard the 20B swap from JDM Cosmos into RX-7's was relatively easy), but not many.

in ford world, different engines from the same chassis don't work right.
Not so. The V8 will fit into the regular Taurii, just plan on finding a wrecked V8 car to get all the parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not actually swapped Skyline engines, I read about it with everyone else that read SCC. I do understand that there is alot of work involved with it, but from what I've gathered it seems like its harder to do the Vulcan to SHO swap. I'm gonna go look for a SHO V8, because I've seen quite a few of them wrecked and am near a junkyard that has AE86's just laying about, so I'm sure they have a SHO or two. Barring that, its back to the Twin Turbo Vulcan project, I'm hoping that'll be easier than this damn engine swap.

side note- Ford and Mazda are partner companies right? They seem to not like swaps, aside from the 20b into an RX-7 (drools) everything else seems impossible. I have a friend thats been working for months on a 13b to 13b TT swap in his FC, and from what I'm told, any rotary at all into a Miata is damn near impossible. Then again, the 5.0 V8 from a mustang wedges in just fine, hmm. Very confused.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Don't know why anybody would put a 13b TT in a fc. All you need is the turbo, manifold, IC, ECU from a 13b t and you're easily cranking 200 hp. Get a RAcing Beat exhaust for $800 and you're at 250 HP. No engine swap necessary.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
look at the block size difference of the 5.0 it is a tiny block by comparison

1 - 15 of 15 Posts