Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the junkyard and I saw a Gen.4 Sable with the Duratec engine, I asked the guy how much and he was selling for $450. I was wondering if it will fit into mine 97 Sable? Thanks in advance.

Frank

·
Registered
478 Posts
you'd be beter off to swap in a V8 for the amount of effort required......

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking in getting a Duratec ... by swapping the engine I could get a Duratec for that and I know much about swapping and stuff but probably will be a heck of time for that. Probably I will bre ending up in selling my Vulcan and getting a nice Duratec. Thanks for the responses.

Brad you still doing the LED switches mods?

Thanks in advance

Frank.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Yes, theres an ad in the classifieds or you can pm me for details.

As for your swap, its doable, but your better off buying a totaled durated=c, as you will need the engine, wire harness, PCM, motor mounts, coolant tubing, collant resivor, power steering res, alternator, ac compressor (FS10), PS pump Water pump, serpintene belt, upper intake, lower intake, TB, Air intake Tubing, Y-Pipe, Headders, ETC. Itd doable, but MUCH MORE cost effective to buy a totaled care fror about 500-1K$$$. I baught back my LOADED duratec from the insurance co for $600, so you should be able to get one with some good searching for under a grand, plus, if the sub frame is not bent, you can just "drop and swap" the subframes and then you have minimal work.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Aug 30 2004, 08:20 AM
Yes, theres an ad in the classifieds or you can pm me for details.

As for your swap, its doable, but your better off buying a totaled durated=c, as you will need the engine, wire harness, PCM, motor mounts, coolant tubing, collant resivor, power steering res, alternator, ac compressor (FS10), PS pump Water pump, serpintene belt, upper intake, lower intake, TB, Air intake Tubing, Y-Pipe, Headders, ETC. Itd doable, but MUCH MORE cost effective to buy a totaled care fror about 500-1K$$$. I baught back my LOADED duratec from the insurance co for $600, so you should be able to get one with some good searching for under a grand, plus, if the sub frame is not bent, you can just "drop and swap" the subframes and then you have minimal work.

Brad
that's exactly the kind of thing i want...

but it's turning out to be pretty hard to find a wrecked duratec (bull) around here that still has an un-bent subframe :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its not that bad a swap really, easily done in a day or two if you know what you're doing B) Gen 3 and 4 engine bays are identical, wiring and hosing all look the same, remember the gen4 design is basically just new sheetmetal and a few improvements under the hood, but no changes in wiring or frame designs/specs.

Easiest way to get it is to buy what they call a "take-out assembly" basically they unbolt the suspension and cradle and drop it all on a pallet. Comes with PCM, all the wiring, airbox, all the accesories, and tranny. Then you can basically drop your car on top of it, bolt it up and hook up the wiring and lines and be done with it! ;)

Offer him like $700 for the engine, trans, PCM, and cradle if its good. If the cradle is bent, no biggie, you just need a lift to transfer the new engine over to your old cradle. :)

BTW I've heard of a few people who completely swapped their GPs from stock 3800s to the supercharged L67 in less than a day, same with the gen3/4s, gotta give Ford some credit for making swaps easy in these models, drop out the old powertrain and put in the new one. B)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually when I went to the junkyard I was looking something for my Sable and by chance I got to see this green Duratec which was rear ended but everything inside the car was completely new. It has leathers seats (silver), Mach audio, sunroof ... all I can see it was looking good. The engine just has 27k so this baby its kinda of new plus its a duratec :lol2:. Probably the guy just was selling the engine $450 but could be not the whole engine including tranny, AC, such things like that. I got to see the bottom of the car and I didn't check the sub-frame at all but if it was rear ended I think there is nothing wrong with the subframe. I'll try to find out how much will be inculding tranny and all the accessories you mentioned Brad.

Brad you might go look and check your pm's.

Thanks in advance

Frank.

·
Registered
131 Posts
See how much he wants for the whole car, I'm betting he'll ask around $1,500 for the whole car in one piece. Buy it and upgrade pretty much everything in your car :banana:

If it was rear ended the subframe shouldnt have any problems unless it was pushed into a curb or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by MISHNAH@Aug 30 2004, 08:11 PM
See how much he wants for the whole car, I'm betting he'll ask around $1,500 for the whole car in one piece. Buy it and upgrade pretty much everything in your car :banana:

If it was rear ended the subframe shouldnt have any problems unless it was pushed into a curb or something like that.
im with him.... for $1500 you could do some nice replacements from a parts car like that. and if you've got the space, you could always just use it as a parts car for ppl on here who need things and can't always find them. there's always someone around here looking to buy *something* :)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'll probably buy the car but I hope it could be for much less I guess. I do have a nice garage here so I can easily put the car in there. I think $1500 its a lot for that wrecked car I guess ... anyway I'll probably will go tomorrow since I finish early.

Frank.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Last year I was told 1,400 for a 2000 Impala LS, badly swipped on the rear end and missing the front end, had a good engine/trans, no wheels, 4 like new doors, and the cloth interior with blown bags. I thought about it but they sold it to another shop for 1,600 before I got another chance to look at it.

Wish they would have had some decent gen3 or gen4s, with all the bad trannies out there, why cant I find one when I have all the parts to fix it! AAARGH!! :angry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts