Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
i was wondering what is the biggest type of engine i would be able to put into my gen 4 bull? and what kind of transmission would i need
I think I've seen some one post with pictures a small block 32-valve V-8 from a Lincoln. Very tight but hey if it works who cares. :) More power to you.

Monsoon

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
In terms of displacement, the 4.6 is close to as large as you can go. From there, you have the 4.2l Essex, which makes 200hp/263lb.ft. You also have the 3.8/3.9. Then there's the SHO engine from the 3rd gen, and if you have an OHV even the DOHC is a better option than it, but it's probably cheaper to just buy a Taurus with that engine already installed.

3.4 SHO, 4.6 Modular, 4.2/3.9/3.8 Essex will swap in with some moderate modification.
3.0 DOHC will swap in directly if you have a car to take everything out of.

Power ratings:

4.6 Modular: 260hp, 275 ft-lbs
3.4 SHO: 235 hp, 230 lb·ft
4.2 Essex: 200hp, 263 ft-lbs
3.9 Essex: 193 hp, 240 ft-lbs
3.8 Essex: Similar to 3.9
3.0 DOHC: 200hp, 200lb-ft

·
Registered
701 Posts
What 5.0? The old push rod 302? It won't work as a FWD, Ford never made a front wheel drive trans with the Windsor bell housing pattern. As been said before, with the right fabrication skill, anything can be done if you want to go RWD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright say i wanted to go with the small block 32 valve what all would i need would i need a new tranny and computer for it. and if i wanted to go with the 3.8 what all would i need

·
Registered
671 Posts
alright say i wanted to go with the small block 32 valve what all would i need would i need a new tranny and computer for it. and if i wanted to go with the 3.8 what all would i need
No offense, but if you're asking that question, then you're not ready to attempt this project.

What you would need: The ability to fabricate custom mounts, if the need arises. Otherwise; the entire subframe, engine, and transmission from donor car, along with computer. The ability to fabricate custom exhaust, if the need arises. The ability to adapt the new engine's cooling system with our cooling system. Year-specific tech manuals from Ford for the donor car and your car, to trace all the wiring and make necessary changes. And another car to get you around for the possible months your bull will be down until the project is complete. Also, ignition system depending on PATS. All this assuming the fuel system mates perfectly. There may be more. If I think of it, I'll let you know. Other members will chime in if I'm forgetting something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
preciate the info i'm pretty metal work savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff and have no problem with wiring systems just needed to know the things i needed and what for so i could purchase them and get started on the work and also just need the info on if i wanted to get the 3.8 v6

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have done quite a bit of research on swapping an Essex back into the Taurus, it shouldn't be much harder than putting it in a Ranger.

One of the first things you need to figure out is, when people swap a 3rd gen subframe into a 2nd gen car, what exactly has to change on the 3rd gen subframe to make the 3.8 work. I'm not sure if there's anything that has to be done. The engine mounts should line up from my understanding, as well as the transmission mount. The transmission is basically the same as in the Taurus, though it's geared differently, I'm not aware of any large physical (size) differences between the two.

You should be able to bolt a Freestar 3.9 up to the 4th gen subframe from my limited research, I haven't tried this in real life or anything. I believe the 4.2 is the same size as a 3.9, so it might be worth just putting a 4.2 in, there's plenty of them out there.

You'll need a donor van with a good drive-train. You'll need complete wiring diagrams to rewire the car, you'll need to put the PCM and such in from the van. It'll be a lot of work to get the wiring done.

As for clearance, I'm pretty sure there might be a height issue with the intake on the newer engine revisions, so a hood scoop might be needed. I think the engine bay might need to be widened slightly. There's the biggest fabrication issue.

You'll probably have to install a better cooling system, by that I mean you'll need to custom route all the cooling lines and possibly upgrade the rad to something larger. A transmission cooler would be a good idea, your engine bay will be cramped.

Hopefully, you'll be able to use the exhaust manifolds off the van, you'll likely need to have the exhaust fabricated from the manifold back.

Hope this helps. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
What are your're expectations or requirements for an engine swap? For example, would you trade more low-end torque for less horsepower? Or is horsepower more important than torque? Or do you want both?

If you want both my suggestions are the 32-valve V-8, a SHO V-8 or the Duratec 24 valve V-6. Depends how much power you want. Keep in mind these are somewhat high revving engines.

I personally am a big fan of a true hemi-head design because the throttle response on my Duratec is excellent. 4-valves with the spark plug right in the middle.

If your thinking torque is king then the push rod versions of a V-6 is what I would be looking for. And once again you have several choices here as well. Low to mid-range torque is great for accelerating quickly from a stop, climbing hills and towing. These are the lower revving engines.

And the last bit of advice is the gearing has to be correct for any of this to work at its best.

Monsoon

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
gotcha i appreciate that one so basically i have to rework the whole front end and wiring
Luckily, I don't think you'll need to alter the sub-frame overly much. You probably won't have to alter the front suspension either, unless for some reason the CV joints won't line up or go in the hubs. You should be able to utilize stock mounts, you just need to find the right combination.

I think you should be able to drop the entire subframe out of the car, pull the old engine and tranny off of it, and bolt the vans combo on with little issue, it's just putting it back into the car, tackling the wiring, then the cooling and exhaust work. There'll be other things, but that's the main work it'll need to happen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i will be goin with the sho v8 then thanx monsoon with that being said i will pull the engine out will i need the subframe from the 98? also thinking about it will it be best to pull the tranny out along with it? along with the computer system and if i do that will i have to reprogram anything in my bull? so with that being said i think i will pull the v8 out of the 99 sho would that be a good combo with my gen 4?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.