Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
05 Taurus SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4th of July weekend I plan on swapping an 07 U into a 05 U at home. Can anyone give advice on how much height I need to swap engines or any other advice like maybe (hopefully not) computer modules not matching etc. I need this car Tues am, it's gotta be right the first time around. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Necesitas trasladar todo, desde los cables hasta el tablero de instrumentos, es bastante el trabajo... CPU, sensores, etc, todo el ramal de cables e incluso el Canister si es que el 2005 no tiene. Suerte

·
Registered
05 Taurus SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Necesitas trasladar todo, desde los cables hasta el tablero de instrumentos, es bastante el trabajo... CPU, sensores, etc, todo el ramal de cables e incluso el Canister si es que el 2005 no tiene. Suerte
I would have to move all the computer stuff? Really? Even though the engines are the same? Anyone else care to comment?

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
775 Posts
Don't forget that the 07 PCM, cylinder lock and keys belong together, just like the 05 ones do. So swapping the PCM and trying to start the engine with your 05 key will not work because that key is not programmed into the 07 PCM.

I would leave the 05 PCM in there for now. You are on a tight schedule here. If the engine runs and all lights in the instrument panel go out, all sensor values are valid and things are fine. You might swap the PCM later, but then you also want the 05 key programmed into the 07 PCM because the 07 key does not match the doorlock. That is all tricky stuff, and it would be better if you embark on that project while you have more time and know you new engine works as expected.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Don't forget that the 07 PCM, cylinder lock and keys belong together, just like the 05 ones do. So swapping the PCM and trying to start the engine with your 05 key will not work because that key is not programmed into the 07 PCM.

I would leave the 05 PCM in there for now. You are on a tight schedule here. If the engine runs and all lights in the instrument panel go out, all sensor values are valid and things are fine. You might swap the PCM later, but then you also want the 05 key programmed into the 07 PCM because the 07 key does not match the doorlock. That is all tricky stuff, and it would be better if you embark on that project while you have more time and know you new engine works as expected.
What hppens if the log block is switched and all else stays with the car?
-chart-

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
775 Posts
What happens if the log block is switched and all else stays with the car?
I said cylinder lock, but I meant the ignition cylinder. Since changing the ignition cylinder is very easy (Haynes section 12.11) you might put in the 07 PCM and the 07 ignition cylinder. Then the engine should start, because the 07 key is programmed into the 07 PCM. Only problem is you can't open the door with that key.

·
Registered
05 Taurus SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have a complete donor (07 SE) car with 40,000 miles on it. It was a little used municipal car that would drive a few miles to pick up a dose of salt, then thaw out in a heated garage, body is bad. I picked up a 05 SE 165,000 miles with a decent body for $200 that needed work the Lady didn't want to do, mainly brakes and alternator. I agree with the time crunch. I already did the brakes, front end work on the $200 car, I think I'll keep the 07 in the shop for when I need it. I'll use up the 05 for now, and kick the can on the swap when I have more time, or when I have to :). Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
05 Taurus SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I said cylinder lock, but I meant the ignition cylinder. Since changing the ignition cylinder is very easy (Haynes section 12.11) you might put in the 07 PCM and the 07 ignition cylinder. Then the engine should start, because the 07 key is programmed into the 07 PCM. Only problem is you can't open the door with that key.
I was checking out Forscan to do the programing. Do you have any experiece with that?

·
Registered
05 Taurus SE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I agree with the time crunch, I think I'll put the 05 on the road as is and use it up.

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
775 Posts
I was checking out Forscan to do the programing. Do you have any experiece with that?
No I don't. But the way I understand it is that the extended license allows you to program any key into the PCM, that there is only a ten minutes forced delay and that all keys programmed into the PCM are deleted in the process.

An interesting product is the Dorman 989-711. Look at the instruction video. The 10 minute delay is also mentioned. But I think Forscan is more powerful because you don't need an original key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts