Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 stock 3.0l v6 ford Taurus that I am wanting to do an engine swap on some time. I was looking around on the forums and got the idea of getting a 4.6l v8 sho, but knowing very little about cars, I am unsure about what year/generation of the sho engine to look for. I have seen plenty of sho engines from the 95-98 and 08'+ but have yet to see any from 01'-07'. I was also looking at getting this supercharged later on and putting in a turbo. Any help as to where to find one and what to look for that will work in my 06' Taurus would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I doubt it will work since the computer and inputs for emissions are vastly different stock wise and then if you try to supercharge it forget it. Lastly the transmission will fail quickly because they are under built. Buy a different car because the money you spend on trying the swap will be enough to upgrade to a different car.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
^ Fwiw, there is no 4.6 v8 sho engine. Gen2's ('89-'95) had the 3.0 v6 (manual atx) or the 3.2 v6 (auto atx). Gen3's ('96-'99) had the 3.4 v8. There were no gen4 ('00-'07) sho's offered. None for '08/'09 either. Iirc, the latest gen. sho ('10+) has the sho 3.5 v6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Fwiw, there is no 4.6 v8 sho engine. Gen2's ('89-'95) had the 3.0 v6 (manual atx) or the 3.2 v6 (auto atx). Gen3's ('96-'99) had the 3.4 v8. There were no gen4 ('00-'07) sho's offered. Iirc, the latest gen. sho has the v6 3.5.
So would the gen3 3.4l v8 work? I was told there was a 4.6l version but they must've mistaken it for the lincoln continental 4.6l v8

·
Super Moderator
8,803 Posts
If you are going to do the work yourself, I hope you have several months to a year and many thousands of dollars set aside to devote to the project. If doing the work yourself, I assume you are an accomplished welder and fabricator, have an intimate knowledge of electronics in general and automotive electronics in particular, as well as an excellent understanding of suspension systems, steering systems, etc, etc.

If you are going to pay a shop to do the swap, expect to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car that will not be worth much more than a stock Taurus.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
188 Posts
Don't bother swapping motors, you don't have the correct wiring or computer in the car, just look for a V8 SHO from 96 to 99, or if you want a real sleeper get a Continental from 01 or 02, it has the COBRA motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts