Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 96 ford taurus. it has almost 100,000 miles on it. Im not quite sure what is wrong with it but most of the time when it is warm, and at an idle it will stutter. What happens is, at a stop light when it is warm and idleing it will bog down and stutter. Itll bog down to about 400 rpms or so for about no more than 5 seconds then go back up to normal idle of about 650 rpms. it does do it sometimes when warm on start up. It doesnt do it all the time though. only once in awhile. im going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow. But it has had a recent tuneup (spark plugs, plug wire, air filter, ignition coil, oil change) within the last two months. I was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose this problem. The check engine light isnt on and the OBDII shows no codes. Any help would be much apreciated. I am very mechanically inclined and know a fair amount about cars but im going to school to be a diesel mechanic so i dont know much about gas engines but what i was taught in high school.

·
Super Moderator
8,626 Posts
What brand / type plugs and wires were used in the tuneup? Were the wires routed exactly as the originals? Was dielectric grease used on the wire boots? Was the new coil pack a quality (read more expensive) unit or the cheapest one available from a discount parts store?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plugs are Auto light platinum. Auto light proffessional series plug wires. Master pro ignition coil. Yes the wires were routed the right way. Dielectric grease was used on the boots. I did have to replace the coil once because it was defective and shot sparks from the connector to the ECM to the number 1 terminal because the plastic had melted and sparks jumped across the gap. That happened last year though. The new coil is fine.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
Ive had probs. with the master pro coils from oreilly not lasting very long. Plugs should really be double plats, but dont think either is responsible for the eng. stutter? I believe master pro is oreillys house brand coil. Ive just had better service with the borg-warner coil.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My guess would be a PCV hose leak, considering it only occurs at warm idle. A cold idle-only flutter might be intake gaskets, and a stumble under throttle at speed might be ignition or fuel pressure. But at warm idle you have low airflow volume where small vacuum leaks are most pronounced, and the intake gaskets have warmed up, expanded, and resealed.

It's not unusual for any American V-engine with 100K+ miles to need upper and lower intake gaskets, plus some vacuum hoses (including PCV hoses on many Ford motors).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts