Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Engine steam on idle.....

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  JW657 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I was wondering why my Vulcan ('02 Taurus SE, 132k now) actually steams whenever I come to a stop, especially on cold days, mostly when it's snowing/raining? I've checked all of the fluids, and there's no leaks anywhere (Anymore - Replaced the oil pan gasket over a week ago). There's no smell to it, and there's no warning lights on. The car doesn't overheat (About 1/3 of the way up the temp gauge); no sputters, stalling, etc. I was thinking maybe the moisture is just hitting the warm parts, but I'm not 100% on this. My '97 GL with the same engine never did this, and it concerns me a little. Any ideas on the causes? I've been here a few years and the threads have helped alot, and I thank you all!

BTW, anyone in Western NY that wants a Mach upgrade check Pick a Part in Horseheads - I called and the amp, tweeters and harnesses are around $30, you pull. Just a heads up for those that are curious! Not sure if I'm allowed to post their link, but I can if it's needed!

Have a great night!

#3 ·
I kind of thought so, Ian. Never all out worried me, just a little concerned. Thanks for the speedy reply!

#6 ·
Thank you as well JW and Sheila. The coolant is still right smack in the center of the reservoir but it's sort of a pukey brown color - Or at least it looks that way in there. I guess I need a flush at some point. But as I said, no smell - No loss in power, heat, etc. The only other car to do that to me was the 01 Aurora - And that has a blown head gasket.....Overheats so much, I know it's done for. I never wanted that car though, and I refuse to drive it

#11 ·
Found a leak!

It's hard to explain - There's a 90 degree metal hose coming off of my upper coolant hose - And it's two nice little streams coming out of it and spraying all over my cooling fans (And engine). Coolant sure stinks when it's burning, and it's brown. Any idea what that little line is called and what it's for? I was thinking trans cooler but not sure. Tried scouring for a cooling system diagram but no one seems to have one, and Auto Zone is no help - They said to replace all my hoses to make sure, but the other ones look pretty good. Any help would be great!

#12 ·
Fixed!

It's hard to explain - There's a 90 degree metal hose coming off of my upper coolant hose - And it's two nice little streams coming out of it and spraying all over my cooling fans (And engine). Coolant sure stinks when it's burning, and it's brown. Any idea what that little line is called and what it's for? I was thinking trans cooler but not sure. Tried scouring for a cooling system diagram but no one seems to have one, and Auto Zone is no help - They said to replace all my hoses to make sure, but the other ones look pretty good. Any help would be great!
Got angry from the awful coolant smell when burning so I basically shoved the remaining rubber hose all the way to the upper coolant hose and clamped it. No more leak and you can't even tell that there was ever the metal elbow!

People tell me all the time that this car will nickel and dime me to death.....But when you buy a used car (ANY make and model), there's going to be some issues. Mine are all done as far as I can tell - At least for now. Actually that Aurora is worse, especially with that head gasket and aluminum block.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.