Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Taurus 2000 SEL and it has 98k on it.
it recently started giving problem when i drive in rain and i stop at traffic light. The engine would shut down. then i have to restart and it would run fine and again could stop and stall when i stop somewhere. But this hardly ever happens when its not raining.
in some thread here i read that it could be cause of PCM/serpentine belt getting wet. please suggest what could be the issue and what i should do fo rhtis.

Regards

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mom and Dad had a problem like this on their 89 ramcharger. It ended up that the o2 sensor had a bare spot in the wire and it was grounding out when it got wet.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
You didnt mention the engine..... Tec in 2000 had COP ignition, Vulcan had coil pack / plug wires. Stalling / rough run in damp conditions are usually secondary ignition related.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
Mom and Dad had a problem like this on their 89 ramcharger. It ended up that the o2 sensor had a bare spot in the wire and it was grounding out when it got wet.
If this was the problem, the PCM would pick this up and turn on the CEL. OBDII monitors virtually every aspect of the O2 sensors, while that 89 (OBDI) didnt.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm agreeing with Jeff on this. I'm suspected to believe that the plug wires are worn and need replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts