Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had something a little disconcerting happen to me in my '02 Taurus SE (automatic trans) last weekend, and it's got me wondering--is there some sort of engine cutout for when the car exceeds 20 MPH in reverse?

I had reached a dead-end in the narrow road I was on, but there was a wide spot for me to turn around about 100 yards behind me. It was a somewhat steep hill, and I put the car in reverse and hit the gas pretty hard to back down the hill to the wide spot. I had previously noticed that my Taurus was governed to 20 MPH in reverse, but my speedometer read about 23 MPH just before I let off the gas. By the time I had coasted the rest of the way to the wide spot, the engine had died. I didn't feel any sudden lurching or noises when it happened--it just died. I put the transmission in Park, engaged the parking brake, then restarted the engine, and everything seemed normal afterwards.

I'm really hoping that there's some sort of safety measure that cut the engine out so I wouldn't do any damage to the transmission by going more than 20 MPH in reverse, but if that's not the case, I think I ought to at least have my transmission serviced (flush/fill/filter change) soon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The reverse gear ratio is 2.26:1, which is real close to 1st gear. Any idea what your RPMs were (I hope you say no, since you should be looking behind you while going backwards at 20mph :lol2: )? Anyone think its possible that it hit the rev limiter and it somehow killed the engine? I dunno... just throwing things out.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Hmmm. Im wondering how much gas you had in your tank at the time. If you had a small amount of gas in there and it was a steep enough hill, its possible thats why you stalled out.

It happened to a member before whose driveway was a hill. He was unable to start it, turns out he was out of gas/ very low on gas, and on a hill. :ph34r:

Other than that, I dont know what else it could have been, but keeping on top of your transmission maintenance is key.

-Damon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure exactly what my RPMs were, but it couldn't have been that high. The only other time I've reached 20 MPH in reverse, it was on a level stretch of deserted road, and the RPMs stayed low the entire time even though the gas pedal was on the floor.

The fuel problem is one I hadn't even considered--I had just under half a tank. Anyone know where the fuel pick-up is inside the tank? If it were in the front, then travelling downhill in reverse and then decelerating might cause it to starve long enough to kill the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Do you like going fast in reverse or something? Im not sure , but i think the bigger issue may be why you want to go so fast backwards. Flooring the car in reverse would be just like flooring it in first as someone mentioned, you'd probably redline at about 5200rpm, then your rev limiter would kick in and cut off fuel.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well, I've hit about 40km/h in reverse a couple times, but only because I was in the initial stages or a 'Rockford' spin.... it's a ****-hook, rev-to-fwd 180... mind you, I did it in a '93, and left a fair amount of rubber behind... :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
t happened to a member before whose driveway was a hill. He was unable to start it, turns out he was out of gas/ very low on gas, and on a hill. ph34r.gif
are u reffering to me wheni first bought my car and thought it was dead a week later? :p :lol2:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yes the speed is limited in reverse. Either the engine rpm cutout will kick in, or the speed will max out at the allowable limit and cut the engine to keep you from going to fast. When the build the cars, they don't figure ppl will need to be speeding around in reverse, so they design them not to go that fast.

Funny story about something like that - a guy came into our dealership once to talk to the shop foreman. He wanted to know if there was a way to remove the speed governor from the transmission on his mid-90's Aerostar minivan. Apparently he could go over 160 km/h in it. My boss told him that it was designed that way on purpose, and if he wanted to go faster, he shoulda bought a mustang, not a van!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Oct 13 2004, 09:58 PM
t happened to a member before whose driveway was a hill. He was unable to start it, turns out he was out of gas/ very low on gas, and on a hill. ph34r.gif
are u reffering to me wheni first bought my car and thought it was dead a week later? :p :lol2:
No, I am refering to the tortoise kid from texas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts