Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a noisy belt somewhere in the engine. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I have made a few observations:

1) The squeek developed, and a few weeks later I took a small (200 mile) trip. When I got there (lower altitude, warmer climate), the squeek disappeared. It returned the morning after I got home.
2) It seems to get louder the lower the temperature (it's been between -20 and 40 degrees here).
3) The sound get faster with engine RPMs.

Any idea what this is, how to fix it, and if it goes unrepaired for a few more weeks, is there potential damage? I'd take it into the shop now, but the guys there think I'm a complete idiot. I'd prefer to swap out or tighten this belt on my own, if possible.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i don't know what year bull you have but, i had the same thing going on and it turned out to be the crank position sensor/synchronizer. had to replace them both. did it myself. after i removed the old one i gave it a few turns with my hands and it was squeeking terribly. i think the bearing at the top of the synchronizer is greased from the factory and it appears it doesn't hold up for very long. changed mine out and the engine is quiet again. i have an 01 bull w/vulcan. brian

·
Registered
116 Posts
sounds like your idler pully is about to crap out, on my 93 i have the origional do that, i got a new one at napa for $16.00,

if you have a 3.0v6 vulcan the partnumber at napa is 38006

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you replaced the synchronizer, did you notice if it had any kind of seals on the shaft. Mine started the squealing and instead of replacing the whole assembly, I filled the cup under the rotor with oil. It hasn't made a sound in several thousand miles now but I wonder if its fixed or just going to get me later down the road. I think the oil went down into the bearing. It went somewhere.

BE

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It might simply be the serpentine belt. How old is your belt? Is it cracked or dry? As a cheap quick-fix, get a can of belt dressing, let the car idle (make sure its squeaking), and spray a little dressing on the belt. If it stops sqeaking, you need a new belt.

·
Registered
117 Posts
bedwards, i think you have performed a temporary solution to the problem. i am surprised it hasn't given you problems since the oiling. there are no seals along the shaft of the synchronizer, only a bearing. if it's not broke don't fix it. my .02!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts