Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had a lot of rain a few days back, and I might have had a little too much fun with puddles... Needless to say, I must have washed out some grease from my bearings, because they now squeak. I think it might just be the alternator.

Well, because it's just really annoying, and also to prevent wear (if my AC compressor dies i'm gonna cook this summer) I was wondering if you all could give me some tips on how to grease it back up again.

If it helps, it's a 2001 Taurus SE with the 155hp engy

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
What are you calling a squeak? Are you sure it's not belt squeal? Does it go away after a short while, or is it constant, only over bumps, while turning, ect?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You can't. If an accessory bearing is damaged, it has to be replaced. You may just need a new belt and tensioner pully. Or the noise may clear up on its own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The noise goes away to some degree when driving or at raised rpms/when it heats up a little, so i think that's the lubrication warming up a bit more. But from a cold start, waiting at a light it squeaks. It's not belt squeal, it's a periodic squeak.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Sounds like a pulley then. If that is the case, then refer to WJC's post. Next time it does it, see if you can narrow down where it's coming from.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Which side is the squeak coming from?

If it seems to come from the center or even driver side, it might be a failing camshaft synchronizer which sounds like a squeaking bearing (because it is - the bearing that supports a shaft that not only drives a sensor tang for the camshaft position sensor but also the oil pump).

It will squeak upon startup when the bearing is going bad, sometimes goes away for a while when engine oil reaches it but squeaks when dry and will eventually fail. This will be bad because depending on the extent of failure of the synchronizer, you can lose drive to the oil pump which will of course result in loss of oil pressure.

This is a common problem and the fix is well documented in this forum. Check it out and if you need help, I and others have experience in the repair.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Water

Well we had a lot of rain a few days back, and I might have had a little too much fun with puddles... Needless to say, I must have washed out some grease from my bearings, because they now squeak. I think it might just be the alternator.

Well, because it's just really annoying, and also to prevent wear (if my AC compressor dies i'm gonna cook this summer) I was wondering if you all could give me some tips on how to grease it back up again.

If it helps, it's a 2001 Taurus SE with the 155hp engy
Ball bearings and tapered rollers do not like water. Alternator, AC, idler are it risk. They can take it for a while when new, but as they age, they get less able to keep water out of the grease. Water pump bearings are sealed better due to their use and are not so likely to scream after water.

PS is sleeve and sealed really well.

However, on the Vulcan the alternator is high up.

Also likely a cause of wheel bearings to fail also.

Belts do seem to care, once they dry out.

Just my experience from the old coot.

-chart-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's definitely the passenger side. I sprayed in some light oil, and it silenced if for a bit, but it returned. How do I properly grease it? It's gotta be more than rubbing thick grease on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 2002 Taurus 3.0 when I first bought it in January of 2006, I decided to go to a local oil change center to have the routine oil changes done on it. After about 3 days, I began to notice a distinct squeak coming from the engine compartment. After consulting with my brother in law who is a Ford mechanic, he suggested that I go to the store and purchase 5W20 motor oil and do an oil change myself. I did as instructed and a day later the squeak went away and never returned.

He told me he believed they used a higher viscosity oil, perhaps a 10W40. The squeak would lessen as the RPM would go up but at idle the squeak was very noticeable. Just wondering, did you have your oil changed immediately prior to taking the car through the puddles?

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
It's definitely the passenger side. I sprayed in some light oil, and it silenced if for a bit, but it returned. How do I properly grease it? It's gotta be more than rubbing thick grease on it.
The part that you sprayed oil on and it got quiet........... REPLACE IT. Sealed bearings are not greasable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts