Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my gf's 2001 taurus 3.0 DOHC is having issues. it sputters randomly. She tries to accelerate and sometimes it'll fall on it's face. Sometimes it sputters at idle too.
i cleaned the MAf sensor and IAC (preventitive maintenance).
I also swapped the 3 plugs up front. This seemed to make it worse for some reason. I put it Autolite Double Plats.

She brought it into the shop today and they are telling us it's a bad coil pack.

My question is WHAT DO I NEED to replace the coil pack? I'm a shade tree mechanic, so i can do it on my own.
I know I need to remove the intake. What gaskets do i need to replace?
What size bolt holds the coil pack on?
It's a pretty straight forward swap, right?

Anything I need to know?
What exactly do i need to buy to replace my coil pack?
Obviously I need the coil pack, but any gaskets or special tools?
thanks guys, i'm doing tomorrow, so the sooner the better with your replies.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 12:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705369
Well my gf's 2001 taurus 3.0 DOHC is having issues. it sputters randomly. She tries to accelerate and sometimes it'll fall on it's face. Sometimes it sputters at idle too.
I also swapped the 3 plugs up front. This seemed to make it worse for some reason. I put it Autolite Double Plats.

She brought it into the shop today and they are telling us it's a bad coil pack.

My question is WHAT DO I NEED to replace the coil pack? I'm a shade tree mechanic, so i can do it on my own.

Anything I need to know?
thanks guys, i'm doing tomorrow, so the sooner the better with your replies.[/b]
Do all the plugs and wires first. This may fix it. If you need a new coil, why add a new coil and leave the old wires and 3 old plugs there? There is a guide for changing the plugs here in the forums.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 4 2009, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705372
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 12:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705369

Anything I need to know?
thanks guys, i'm doing tomorrow, so the sooner the better with your replies.[/b]
Do all the plugs and wires first. This may fix it. If you need a new coil, why add a new coil and leave the old wires and 3 old plugs there? There is a guide for changing the plugs here in the forums.
[/b][/quote]

I plan on changing the plugs while i'm back there, but i want to do the coil too while i'm back there. WHAT DO I NEED to complete the job?

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it checked for codes, and it says cylinders 1,2 and 3 are misfiring.
Kinda a weird coincidence, right? ALL 3 of the back cylinders are misfiring. Is it just a coil pack? Seems weird that all 3 are misfiring at once.
The car has no balls when trying to accelerate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Save yourself lots of time and trouble and never use Autolite plugs again. I have had NOTHING but bad luck with them. You'd be much better off going to Ford and asking for the OEM plugs.

Hopefully the coil pack and all new plugs cures it up...

-GH

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Grant @ Mar 4 2009, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705400
Save yourself lots of time and trouble and never use Autolite plugs again. I have had NOTHING but bad luck with them. You'd be much better off going to Ford and asking for the OEM plugs.

-GH[/b]

What size socket is used for the coil pack?
is there a write-up for the pack sawp and LIM removal somewhere?

I love my Autolites. I run Autolites coppers in my 98 Cobra, and it loves them.

She just called and said the CEL was flashing for a short time then the light just stayed on. Yet, it's running better that it was before the flashing.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Grant @ Mar 4 2009, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705400

-GH[/b]
I have no idea what your smoking. Autolite Plats are almost identical to the NGK's. I've run them on my Taurus, Jeep, Nissan Quest, and Ford Explorer Sport Trac. ALL Running WITHOUT a problem.

I think the problem may have been error ID 10T.

Sometimes if you dont pay attention, the plugs come "pre-gapped" and if you mess with the gap...well theres your problem.
Other times, the autoparts stores will give you the wrong plug... and well......Theres your problem.

Tauruses do NOT like the Bosch Plats. The Bosch plats are the ones that cause all the trouble in our vehicles. Hopefully you didnt mix up Autolites with Bosches.

QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 12:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705409
QUOTE (Grant @ Mar 4 2009, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705400

-GH[/b]

What size socket is used for the coil pack?
is there a write-up for the pack sawp and LIM removal somewhere?

I love my Autolites. I run Autolites coppers in my 98 Cobra, and it loves them.

She just called and said the CEL was flashing for a short time then the light just stayed on. Yet, it's running better that it was before the flashing.
[/b][/quote]

CEL Flashing means that there is an Active Misfire. Replace the plugs. If it has gone over 70,000 miles without a plug job. THIS is MOST LIKELY your problem.

Replace the plugs. Use Anti Seize!

Replace the wires. Use Dielectric Grease!!!!!

then Think of replacing the Coil.

I dont think you have to remove the LIM. The UIM you have to to get good access. But I've done it without moving anything. (yes. on a tec)

Removal of the UIM is easy as removing 4 bolts, the 4 bolts to the TB, and then lifting it off. i recommend you buy a new gasket before you do this. once its off you'll have access to everything.

Why bother asking for the socket size. IMO, You should have a full socket set before you even think about trying any work under the hood.

Its not hard to figure it out... I grab a socket.. if its loose.. its metric.. doesnt fit.. its SAE. that simple..

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Mar 4 2009, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705424
Why bother asking for the socket size. IMO, You should have a full socket set before you even think about trying any work under the hood.

Its not hard to figure it out... I grab a socket.. if its loose.. its metric.. doesnt fit.. its SAE. that simple..[/b]

Why bother? because if it's a tamper proof bit or something i don't want to have to go out to the stroe to buy it.
If you don't know the bolt size, then why say anything, cuz telling me to have a socker set doesn't help at all. I DO have lots and lots of socket sets, I just like to be prepared.

Is the car O.K. to drive for another day or so, I want to fix it over the weekend.

As far as ALL 3 rear plugs going bad at once, what's the chance? IMO, it's gotta be the pack.
I think I just read that the bit size is a T25.

Thanks for all the help. I already bought an U/LIM gasket set. Might as well replace the lower too, right?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 03:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705431
Is the car O.K. to drive for another day or so, I want to fix it over the weekend.[/b]
Well, what's the worst that could happen...
The damn thing could misfire perfectly on three cylinders, break the timing chain and shove three valves in to three piston heads. What are the chances of that?

What are the chances of bending one valve? I don't know.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 4 2009, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705438
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 03:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705431
Is the car O.K. to drive for another day or so, I want to fix it over the weekend.[/b]
Well, what's the worst that could happen...
The damn thing could misfire perfectly on three cylinders, break the timing chain and shove three valves in to three piston heads. What are the chances of that?

What are the chances of bending one valve? I don't know.
[/b][/quote]

So, no it shouldn't be driven? Were supposed to drive an 1 1/2 hours today one way. Should we not go? I've never heard of any major issues from a misfire.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 03:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705439
Were supposed to drive an 1 1/2 hours today one way. Should we not go? I've never heard of any major issues from a misfire.[/b]
It's up to you. If I were alone and doing the hour and a half I might go for it. If I were taking a loved one along for that hour and half? No F***ing way would I go, unless it were very important.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
No you should NOT drive a long distance with a misfire. Unburned fuel can destroy the catalytic converters. Not to mention poor fuel mileage.

You should not need to replace any gaskets. The intake manifold gaskets on the Gen 4 seem to hold up better during removal than the type used on Gen 3 and Contours.
<edit> since you already bought the gaskets, go ahead and replace them while your have it all apart.

The coil pack may use small Torx (like the T25 you mentioned) or 5.5mm hex. Depends on the year.

Autolites are fine. Be sure to use double platinums or iridiums.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 4 2009, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705442
Were supposed to drive an 1 1/2 hours today one way. Should we not go? I've never heard of any major issues from a misfire.[/b]
It's up to you. If I were alone and doing the hour and a half I might go for it. If I were taking a loved one along for that hour and half? No F***ing way would I go, unless it were very important.
[/b][/quote]

Why's it matter is someone is with me?

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[I don't care about the poor mileage, or cats. I just want to know that the MOTOR will be OK. I plan on changing the coil pack tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705447
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 4 2009, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705442
[/b][/quote]

Why's it matter is someone is with me?
[/b][/quote]

It would matter to me, a great deal. I have no problem taking a chance and stranding myself. A s a husband and father I have no right to strand my wife and/or children with me. These types of thoughts come with age... B)

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705449
[I don't care about the poor mileage, or cats. I just want to know that the MOTOR will be OK. I plan on changing the coil pack tomorrow.[/b]

Catalytic converters are about $350 a pop and your car has 3 of them. You could ruin them. I know you can bend a valve with a misfire.
You car may or may not be fine. It's your risk. We can't decide for you how much risk you are willing to take.

Me? I wouldn't do it. I'd get up early and fix it and then go.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
FYI, none of the bolts that you need to remove are tamper proof. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
QUOTE (badass98svt @ Mar 4 2009, 02:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705449
[I don't care about the poor mileage, or cats. I just want to know that the MOTOR will be OK. I plan on changing the coil pack tomorrow.[/b]

Ok... good luck. Hope the g/f doesn't kick your ass too bad when y'all are stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
834 Posts
There are 2 types of misfires Type A and Type B...you have been experiencing a Type B for a while...since the CEL started blinking...it is a serious misfire now...a Type A....like it has already been said...your cats will be next to go...so for the cost of one cat...you could replace all your plugs, wires, coil pack, manifold gaskets and have change left over...fixing it ASAP is in your best interest...and driving with it like it is...is gonna cost you some serious dough sooner than later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (fonicsmonkey @ Mar 4 2009, 11:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705605
There are 2 types of misfires Type A and Type B...you have been experiencing a Type B for a while...since the CEL started blinking...it is a serious misfire now...a Type A....like it has already been said...your cats will be next to go...so for the cost of one cat...you could replace all your plugs, wires, coil pack, manifold gaskets and have change left over...fixing it ASAP is in your best interest...and driving with it like it is...is gonna cost you some serious dough sooner than later.[/b]

I had the same problem for several months. Plugs and wires replaced. Even had it to the dealer. Misfire came back a couple weeks ago. No codes, no nothing. Bought a new coil pack and replaced 2 days ago. Removed the UIM, bought new gaskets, but these gaskets are made of rubber (each plenum has its own gasket). Don't think I needed new ones, so I kept the old ones. They're cheap anyway at $8. New and old coil packs had about the same resistance measures, so it's baffling. Old pack had perfect primary resistance numbers. But the new pack seems to have fixed the problem. You might think the pack is still good, but it isn't. Hard to explain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts