Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to replace my tensioner pulley on my 99 DOHC, and because of room I removed the 2 back and front bolts to jack the engine up, put a jack under the oil pan, jacked up, gave me enough room to get the tensioner bolt out. now I cant get the front motor mount lined up with the hole in the subframe. At first I couldnt get both bolts lined up, but after repositioning jack under trans pan/oil pan, I was at least able to get the rear bolt in and the nut loosely on it. I have pulled, pushed, prodded, pry barred the engine to no avail. I then tried to loosen the 2 bolts to the top of the front motor mount, to allow me some back and forth movement on the mount. I have the bolt at least lined up to the subframe with the tip of the bolt thru, its almost like the weight of the motor is shifted back, cause I cant rock the engine far enough to the front to get that bolt to sink in the subframe. I tried 2 jacks under the oil pan and the trans pan to try and even out the weight, still cant pull the engine all the way down to the front. In hindsight I know how I shifted the motor, but that was my idiotic mistake, thats what happens when I drove the front of the car up on ramps to allow me room to get the jack under the oil pan when I first lifted the motor. Of course it shifted, as the weight was shifted from the start... I think it would help if I had another pair of hands? Since that is not happening, any ideas out there that could help me?
Thanks Tom

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I go to replace my tensioner pulley on my 99 DOHC, and because of room I removed the 2 back and front bolts to jack the engine up, put a jack under the oil pan, jacked up, gave me enough room to get the tensioner bolt out. now I cant get the front motor mount lined up with the hole in the subframe. At first I couldnt get both bolts lined up, but after repositioning jack under trans pan/oil pan, I was at least able to get the rear bolt in and the nut loosely on it. I have pulled, pushed, prodded, pry barred the engine to no avail. I then tried to loosen the 2 bolts to the top of the front motor mount, to allow me some back and forth movement on the mount. I have the bolt at least lined up to the subframe with the tip of the bolt thru, its almost like the weight of the motor is shifted back, cause I cant rock the engine far enough to the front to get that bolt to sink in the subframe. I tried 2 jacks under the oil pan and the trans pan to try and even out the weight, still cant pull the engine all the way down to the front. In hindsight I know how I shifted the motor, but that was my idiotic mistake, thats what happens when I drove the front of the car up on ramps to allow me room to get the jack under the oil pan when I first lifted the motor. Of course it shifted, as the weight was shifted from the start... I think it would help if I had another pair of hands? Since that is not happening, any ideas out there that could help me?
Thanks Tom
Maybe an engine lift to help you reposition it? How big are you anyway? Not trying to offensive, but if you're small that might be some of the problem, do you know anyone that's like 6.2ft+? Get them to help. :lol2:

So, you unbolted all the engine mounts? Just to clarify.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not that big, except around my waistline! Lol I am only 5'9 and 200lbs. I am 50 years old though, and feel every bit of it rolling around under my car on the ground. It would be nice if I had some more hands and eyes. My fear is by pushing and pulling that motor around I am going to screw something else up. I just replaced that front mount a month ago and wonder how bad I banged up those threads...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Motor mount bolt and sub frame hole shift.

On a 2002 Mercury Sable 3.0 DOHC, I had the motor mount bolt and hole in the sub frame go out of alignment when I lifted the motor to replace my AC pump. The bolt ofset about 1" towards the radiator. I thought the motor shifted as well. I struggled 5 hours trying to push the motor or sub frame with pry bars and hydraulic jacks with no success. Finally I got it back in alignment by doing the following:

Remove the plastic panel from the fender well so you can see the motor mount.
Jack up the motor by the oil pan a few inches. Use a block of wood to spread out the force.
Remove the two motor mount bolts (underneath the AC pump for my car) that secure the motor mount to the engine.
Place the motor mount bolt into the hole in the sub frame.
Screw the nut onto the bolt (underneath the sub frame) about 75%
Lower the motor until the engine bracket and motor mount just lightly kiss.
If necessary push on the motor mount towards the radiator a little to get clearance. It took very little force.
Lower the motor until the 2 bolt holes in the motor mount and engine are in alignment. It seemed like a miracle but they came into alignment very easily.
Tighten the two bolts to the motor and the 1 nut under the sub frame.
It still confuses my why this worked but it worked and I completed the motor mount attachment in 15 minutes.
Bottom line: my motor did not shift but I would have bet the farm the it did shift.

I'll mount my new AC pump tomorrow. Hopefully to big challenges.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
grega
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing