Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem does not come up when driving, however when parked and on neutral or speed when i spin my RPM up, past 4000 engine starts shaking like crazy feels like earthquake in the car.

Transmission is not good i know that for fact, but would it still be problem on neutral?

P.S. prior to 4000 it does not give any shaking at all. And when driving i sometimes go to 6000 RPM without problem..

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
The engine is limited to 4000 RPM in Neutral and Park. It's a safety feature, to keep you from revving it to 7000 RPM and then engaging the transmission.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's also there to prevent the motor from over revving out of gear and causing catastrophic failure. My brother had a '71 F100... Coming off the highway went from fourth to first... Destroyed his 390

·
Administrator
14,946 Posts
It's also there to prevent the motor from over revving out of gear and causing catastrophic failure. My brother had a '71 F100... Coming off the highway went from fourth to first... Destroyed his 390
Back when trannies could outmuscle engines. One problem we will never have to worry about with our Bulls. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Back when trannies could outmuscle engines. One problem we will never have to worry about with our Bulls. :rolleyes2:
Exactly, motors may have been close to bulletproof, but those trannies were bulletproof. I remember the carnage too, broke 12 out of 16 valves, three valve heads welded to the cylinder walls and the rest found it's way to the oil pan and cooling system. He called me up and said, "hey my truck stopped running." I drove down there and coolant was dripping out the exhaust pipe. I looked at him and said he's f'd

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
All I have to say is Ford C6 transmission.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
The better question is why in the hell do you feel the need to rev the piss out of the car in neutral/park? There are safety equipment in place to stop people from doing stupid things........ this being one of them.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
^^^^^ +1

I see the import kids with their fart can mufflers doing this all the time to impress their idiot friends. I just laugh, smile, and think "what a moron".

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The better question is why in the hell do you feel the need to rev the piss out of the car in neutral/park? There are safety equipment in place to stop people from doing stupid things........ this being one of them.
To see if engine works fine on high RPM's or shaking because mounts are loose or something else going on is not enough of a reason?
I used manual transmissions in the past and there's no limit you can spin as much as you want and put first because you use clutch.

P.S. is factory safety build in the way engine will start shaking and choking rather than just stop growing rpm?

This is last car with automatic i ever buy for myself

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'm not attacking your actions, but there are other, less risky ways to test for loose components or broken engine mounts than revving the engine to the limiter in park.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
To see if engine works fine on high RPM's or shaking because mounts are loose or something else going on is not enough of a reason?
I used manual transmissions in the past and there's no limit you can spin as much as you want and put first because you use clutch.

P.S. is factory safety build in the way engine will start shaking and choking rather than just stop growing rpm?

This is last car with automatic i ever buy for myself
Testing motor mounts is simple..... put in gear, keep your foot on the break, tap the gas SLIGHTLY, if it rocks and looks like the motor was about to jump out of the engine bay it's bad. A simple search on this forum would have shown you that...... There is absolutely NO need to rev an engine past 4K in park or neutral unless you are doing it as said before to try to impress someone. Reving the crap out of the car is not a diagnostic tool......

Yes it's is 100% NORMAL operation for it to 'jackhammer' when it hits the neutral/park limiter.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
Sorry, bud, but I agree with Sousa. 4000 RPM in neutral? That's warped. The whole idea of the on-board computer is to protect the novice owner from him/herself. Do a neutral bomb in a Taurus at 3000 RPM and you need a new tranny. Please, treat your automobile as a friend, and don't abuse it.

I wish I knew where you lived. There must be something in the water you drink.:p

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
As noted above, reving the engine in neutral / park wont test the motor mounts. The engine needs a LOAD (as in gear) on it to test the mounts.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Oh and all cars these days have rev limiters with the exception of exotica. Manuals included, ever watched someone rip around VIR in a Boss 302? There are 4 or 5 places on that track in that car were the way to turn the fastest lap time is to hit the rev limiter in 3rd rather than change gears. And if you think that it's just got an auto, the Boss 302 is only sold with a manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
672 Posts
^^^^^ +1

I see the import kids with their fart can mufflers doing this all the time to impress their idiot friends. I just laugh, smile, and think "what a moron".
That sir, is a redundant statement....lol. (fart can/impress/idiot/moron):lol2:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.